PDA

View Full Version : Big Hippo Tang

ickmagnet
04-13-2009, 07:23 AM
I have a strong Hippo that has taken over my tank and has so far bullied two of my other fish to death. I've tried to catch him but he's too slick. Basically, i can't keep any medium-large fish without getting rid of him first. Will trade for a smaller one or will give him up for $50. If you can catch him in my tank with any contraption you may have, I'll give him away for $30. I am confident he will do well in any tank because he is easily the king of my tank.

I m also willing to trade him for a healthy yellow tang and if you have a healthy powder blue, I'll pay u the difference.

Skimmerking
04-13-2009, 02:16 PM
how big is you tank? section off the tank to catch him, no fish is hard to catch. I have a 5 " Kole and a 5" sailfin tang. i put in a baby orange shoulder tang in my 150 the kole went retarded after him. so i stuck a small mirror in front of the tank and the kole is constant looking at ways to beat him self up.... its funny as heck to watch and the baby orange shoulder tang LULU is swimming all over the tank...

ickmagnet
04-13-2009, 06:26 PM
My tank is a 135gallon. So, with this mirror technique, do you leave it in the all the time? Will separating the fish reduce aggression? I'm sure I can get a mirror/glass and try it and isolate him fo a few days. I wouldn't mind keeping him but he is a complete ass to ther other fish. If separating him temporarily will help. I'll try it.

Leah
04-13-2009, 06:44 PM
It's funny because mine is such a whimp. I would try the mirror worked great for me with a nasty fish, mind you mine was a four line wrasse. He was very bad fishy!

GreenSpottedPuffer
04-13-2009, 08:12 PM
It's funny because mine is such a whimp. I would try the mirror worked great for me with a nasty fish, mind you mine was a four line wrasse. He was very bad fishy!

How big is your Hippo? If its small still (under 5-6") then I would say just wait...they seem to get kind of mean when older.

ickmagnet
04-13-2009, 11:00 PM
I don't know how much meaner it can get. After looking at it again today, I would say that is about 6" and thick.

GreenSpottedPuffer
04-14-2009, 12:11 AM
I don't know how much meaner it can get. After looking at it again today, I would say that is about 6" and thick.

Wow...bigger than my guy then even :biggrin:

blueyota
04-14-2009, 12:21 AM
i don't know if you have any but an active cleaner (shrimp or wrasse) is a good way to bring aggression down in a tank .....a clean fish is a happy fish....just a thought

ickmagnet
04-20-2009, 01:46 AM
OK, I caught him so if anyone wants to come by in the next few hours, it's yours for 25 bucks. I don't have a seperate tank and will have nowhere to put him so I need to get him out of here. My number is 604-787-4026.

Thanks

loveless
04-20-2009, 02:17 AM
How did you catch him if you dont mind me hijackiing. I am in the same situation with my hippo as well.

ickmagnet
04-20-2009, 02:25 AM
I started around 2ish today and removed all my live rock and put it in the tub. I had nowhere else for it so i had to leave it there. Then they had nowhere to hide and we managed to corner it and sweep it up with the net.

loveless
04-20-2009, 02:30 AM
Oh so it was really easy and simple. Basically the fish swam into the net with no hassle at all. Great:redface:

Thanks for the heads up

ickmagnet
04-20-2009, 02:31 AM
It didn't just swim in to the net. It took about 10-15 minutes trying to trick him into it but it eventually worked.

ickmagnet
04-20-2009, 06:43 AM
OK, so I obviously couldn't have the fish in a bucket for that long so I made a makeshift divider in my tank and threw it back in on the smaller side. This will make it easier to catch tomorrow. I wwill hold it for anyone who wants it for 25 bucks There is one condition though, I would like for it to go in a big established tank (mine is 135). Even though this guy is aggressive, he has been around in my tank for ages and I want him to go to a good home. I'll come home from work tomorrow and check this thread at 4ish and if nobody has responded, I'm going to have to go to JL Aquatics and hand him over to the authorities for a credit. I'd hate to give him away not knowing where he'll end up but I can't afford the carnage he'll cause in my tank.

So, make sure you have a big tank with semi-aggressive fish and he'll be fine.

I also have a smaller Scopas tang ($20)