PDA

View Full Version : Magnesium in ReefersBest salt?

RuGlu6
04-13-2009, 04:38 AM
Did any body tested Magnesium in a Reffers Best (http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/zv-salt/ZEOvit+Reefer%27s+Best+Coral+Reef+Salt+-+20KG.html) salt?
I was using Tropic Marine pro before and my Magn level was at 1200ppm.
LFS measured my Magn today and it is below 1000ppm
I am using reefers Best for about 4 month now.
Anybody have the same Mgn level in this salt, or its just a bad batch or test is wrong?
thx
Oh, and BTW what if Mangnesium level is higher say if test was wrong and i will add suplement raising levels above normal, what are the consiquences?

pterfloth
04-13-2009, 04:57 AM
I have been doing 10% weekly water changes with RBS the past 3 weeks and my Mg has only changed from 1470 ppm to 1432 ppm. I am using the same test procedure I use for work and I know it is quite accurate. The Salifert test gives similar readings.

What procedure are you using?

Delphinus
04-13-2009, 05:14 AM
I have not tested my new makeup water for Mg yet, but I have been using RBS also for about 4 months. I took a leap of faith and didn't test levels - which was a mistake. (I always test Ca and Alk every week, so Mg falls off my radar easily - because otherwise for multiple tanks I sit there and test for an hour which .. well, it's not a good excuse, but it is my excuse).

Anyhow.

Mg among 3 reef tanks was all in the 900-1000 range when I started testing Mg again. So I don't know what I'll find when I go to test my makeup water, but I'm not expecting to find it's very high.

I'll post back #'s if I do get around to testing a new batch of SW makeup water.. Now I'm catching up on all the Mg tests I didn't do because I'm testing every day whilst I try to raise Mg back to seawater levels .. ugh! Lesson learned, don't slip on testing if it's a parameter that's important to you. :redface:

RuGlu6
04-13-2009, 10:58 AM
I have been doing 10% weekly water changes with RBS the past 3 weeks and my Mg has only changed from 1470 ppm to 1432 ppm. I am using the same test procedure I use for work and I know it is quite accurate. The Salifert test gives similar readings.

What procedure are you using?

If you mean water change procedure i am changing 5% of water weekly.
For testing LFS used Elos test kit, it was 25 drops in first step,5 or 6 drops in second step. 25-5x50=1000. or 25-6x50=950 ppm Mg.

i wonder what test are you using. And did you test your fresh made salt water of RBS if yes what are the readings for Mg.?
thank you.
May be if your test is more accurate, then my water is fine as well?
If you are on RBS for only 3 weeks and RBS has lower Mg levels then may be that is why your levels slowly dropping?

RuGlu6
04-13-2009, 11:02 AM
I have not tested my new makeup water for Mg yet, but I have been using RBS also for about 4 months. I took a leap of faith and didn't test levels - which was a mistake. (I always test Ca and Alk every week, so Mg falls off my radar easily - because otherwise for multiple tanks I sit there and test for an hour which .. well, it's not a good excuse, but it is my excuse).

Anyhow.

Mg among 3 reef tanks was all in the 900-1000 range when I started testing Mg again. So I don't know what I'll find when I go to test my makeup water, but I'm not expecting to find it's very high.

I'll post back #'s if I do get around to testing a new batch of SW makeup water.. Now I'm catching up on all the Mg tests I didn't do because I'm testing every day whilst I try to raise Mg back to seawater levels .. ugh! Lesson learned, don't slip on testing if it's a parameter that's important to you. :redface:
Perhaps we need to use D-D Ocean Pro (http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/mc-dsalt23/D-D+H2Ocean+Pro+Plus+Salt+Mix+%2823KG%29.html) if we can trust their chem chart.?:question:

pterfloth
04-13-2009, 03:26 PM
Found this interesting comparison of salt mixtures. I will make-up a pail of RDS salt today for testing and let you know what my results are.

http://www.ultimatereef.net/forums/showthread.php?t=246450

StirCrazy
04-13-2009, 03:42 PM
Found this interesting comparison of salt mixtures. I will make-up a pail of RDS salt today for testing and let you know what my results are.

http://www.ultimatereef.net/forums/showthread.php?t=246450

from that study, looks like I will stick with the old trusty IO.

Steve

sphelps
04-13-2009, 05:26 PM
If you want accurate readings for testing salt you have to either mix up the whole box or record multiple tests from multiple samples and use stats, testing a cup here and there will always give different results. This means the results in the link are pretty useless since the guy only mixed up 500ml samples. I've been using RBS on my tank and others for quite some time and Mag levels have never been a problem so I'm sure it's fine.

Delphinus
04-13-2009, 06:05 PM
But, Sphelps, you don't rely on the salt mix and waterchanges to maintain Mg, do you? I would have guessed you were manually dosing Mg anyhow.

RuGlu6
04-14-2009, 04:12 AM
Just calculated that i need 900grams of Mg to get my tank from 1000 to 1300ppm.
Well its sort of makes sence because ZEO sells Magnesium in small rocks and they recomend them in Calc reactor media about 30% of calc media volume to keep up the Mg levels.
So i guess my next salt will be a D-D ocean pro.

Delphinus
04-14-2009, 06:28 AM
Ok so I tested my RBS tonight on 24g of new saltwater and came up with Mg=825.

I had to extrapolate a little to come up with 825. I tested with Elos and if you've been following my other thread about Mg I came up with a theory that it can't read less than 900. My first test came out at 900.

I then added 16, 15ml scoops (so 240ml) of Chemmaster's Mg mix, let it mix and tested again. 1050. Added another 16 and tested again. 1275. So a step up of 225, and assuming a linear relationship that means the first reading should have been 1050 - 225 = 825.

I guess my only question now is .. how absurd is this? I have to dump massive amounts of Mg into the tanks now to bring them back to seawater levels. I wonder how much the level can be raised safely each day. I'm going to aim for about 40 per day I think.

Delphinus
04-14-2009, 06:31 AM
Oh, incidentally, I've used D-D before and tested Mg and came up with 900 (although now I wonder if it may have been less and I didn't realize it). I realize D-D has changed and things are better now but this is now the second "premium" brand of salt that I've been disappointed with. I think MY next salt will be .. whatever I get the best deal on. :lol: And I test the heck out of it at first to know what needs to be adjusted on it.

Myka
04-14-2009, 06:35 AM
My IO has 1280 ppm, and only costs $40 a bucket, so the $0.12 to dose the Mag doesn't hurt so bad. :p

Delphinus
04-14-2009, 06:39 AM
Yeah, yeah, rub it in. :p Nothing like rubbing SALT into the wounds, har har har. :lol:

I think the more important takeaway is never take anything for granted. Just because the bucket or box says a parameter is "X" doesn't mean it is, test it and confirm before going through the whole batch.

Myka
04-14-2009, 06:47 AM
I test every new bucket of salt no matter what brand. I find each bucket varies quite a lot. Actually, to take a bit of salt out of your wounds, my newest bucket of IO only has 1180 ppm Mg. I'm going to mix up the bucket real good tomorrow, and try testing it again because I haven't had a bucket that low before. The Calcium is testing high at 400 ppm too, so that's weird because IO is usually 360-370. Or maybe I've been away from my tanks too long over winter and I forgot how to test!!! :eek:

Delphinus
04-14-2009, 06:56 AM
Weird that one is lower and one is higher. It could be a mixing up thing. Every new bucket I now shake around for 5 minutes before using. I don't know if it's really making it more homogenous but at least I feel I am "doing something about it."

I've always tested Ca and Alk but guess I got complacent with Mg. I hate testing. Even tonight, I burned through an hour testing and adjusting my makeup water and letting it remix. I could have been watching a stellar TV show like Supernatural. Ugh. I watched another episode of that show, and there's yet another hour of my life I want back. Sam and Dean, you guys are no X-Files. I'm not sure why I bring that up. I guess it's something I've been wanting to get off my chest. Crap, there I go using my outside voice again. Stupid salt.

Myka
04-14-2009, 07:02 AM
LMAO! You're one of my favourite CanReef personalities... 3 more to go Tony!

RuGlu6
04-14-2009, 07:26 AM
Ok so I tested my RBS tonight on 24g of new saltwater and came up with Mg=825.

I had to extrapolate a little to come up with 825. I tested with Elos and if you've been following my other thread about Mg I came up with a theory that it can't read less than 900. My first test came out at 900.

I then added 16, 15ml scoops (so 240ml) of Chemmaster's Mg mix, let it mix and tested again. 1050. Added another 16 and tested again. 1275. So a step up of 225, and assuming a linear relationship that means the first reading should have been 1050 - 225 = 825.

I guess my only question now is .. how absurd is this? I have to dump massive amounts of Mg into the tanks now to bring them back to seawater levels. I wonder how much the level can be raised safely each day. I'm going to aim for about 40 per day I think.
SeaChem indicates that we are not suppose to add more then 25 gramsper 20 gal (80L) Mg per day.
I bought 2.2 kilos (http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/sc-ramg2200/SeaChem+Reef+Advantage+Magnesium+Additive+-+2.2+KG.html) LOL

StirCrazy
04-14-2009, 01:16 PM

I used to add about 200/day with no problems.. Now watch you Ca levels because as you bring up your MG they will go up also.

Steve