PDA

View Full Version : What fish do you think is the most disease resistant?

alfredshouse
04-13-2009, 04:05 AM
I love Tangs, I think they are the most beautiful fish. However, the seem to have alot of problems, ich prone for sure. I just purchased an Atlantic Blue and it now has Ich and possibly Crypt. And today I see my Yellow Tang does too. Can anyone recommend their favorite reef fish that is a little more hardy?

marie
04-13-2009, 04:29 AM
Damsels? :lol:

I have to say my yellow tang is one tough nut and has survived ich and marine velvet, numerous tank moves and various tank mates

hillegom
04-13-2009, 04:46 AM
not my favorite fish, but damsels for sure are tough
+2

reeferious
04-13-2009, 05:13 AM
lone yellowtail damsel with me for 6 years and i suspect will keep going for another 16 more. blue and purple tangs also 5+ yrs and both still fat and glowing with life.

reefy
04-13-2009, 06:18 AM
Achilles or powder blue lol just joking, I would say damsel as well hehe

Palster
04-13-2009, 06:29 AM
I have never had a Damsel fish in my tank but my Yellow Tang has been with me for years and has survived just about every mistake and tank disaster imaginable. This fish has been in three different tanks. I think one of the reasons this fish does so well is because the other fish are not able to bully this fish as it is able to look after itself and not get stressed.

bowkry
04-13-2009, 02:20 PM
I think the blue thro. trigger. I wiped out my all my live stock but my 8 in trigger lived.

plutoniumJoe
04-13-2009, 02:50 PM
I have had a Blue Chromis from the beginning and it has survived the whole spectrum on newbie mistakes. Next in-line is Foxface, has shown some signs of issues but in the end always seems to shake them off.

Snaz
04-13-2009, 02:52 PM
I wish my Nemo would kick it.

bowkry
04-13-2009, 03:08 PM
Yes also foxface. I almost forgot, years ago I had a realy bad case of bad hydrometer and I raised my salt so high that every thing died except a few softies, my percs and my foxface.

Aquattro
04-13-2009, 03:19 PM
Clowns. I figure stress causes illness, and clowns are too dumb to get stressed over anything. I've also never had any issues with Yellow Tangs. My last one was with me about 10 yrs, my current one has been with me since day 3 of my tank running, never a problem with her.

Carmen
04-13-2009, 03:54 PM
My wrasses have been VERY hardy! Easy going fish too with tonnes of colors to choose from!

alfredshouse
04-13-2009, 03:54 PM
These are all great ideas, I appreciate it and keep em coming!!:clap2::cheer2::fish:

mike31154
04-13-2009, 04:04 PM
My current set up has been running something over two years and I haven't lost a fish to disease. There have been losses due to other reasons.

Here's the lineup (loosely in order of when they were added):

Maroon Clown & Blue Devil Damsel
Mandarin Dragonet
Copperband Butterflyfish (died of starvation)
Lawnmower Blenny (1. sucked into powerhead, newb mistake, 2. Jumper, 3. still with me)
Maroon Clown #2 (went through the difficult pairing process, now I have a spawning pair)
Yellow Tang
Singapore Angelfish
Blue Green Chromis x 3 (all gone, predation & bullying mostly)
Mandarin Dragonet #2 (recently added, thought it was female but is male, need to monitor since I now have two males, so far so good, huge size difference)

Last week I turned my ATO on manually to top up the tank, forgot about it, went shopping for a couple of hours. Came home & the tank was just starting to overflow with close to 4 gallons having been added to the system! Drained a bunch of water and checked the salinity which of course had dropped a couple of points in the two or so hours. The livestock seemed to know something was awry and were kind of hiding. In any case, once I drained the tank to a safe level, things got back to normal with no apparent ill effects. I also quickly mixed up a half gallon of concentrated salt water and added it in. I think the tank is large enough to forgive my boo boo. I kept the water I drained and refilled my ATO bottle with it. Hopefully this will get the salinity back to the original level in the course of 4 to 5 days. I'm about half way there and everything is fine, so I guess you could say, all of the fish in there are reasonably hardy. Even the inverts are doing their thing as if nothing happened. Colour me lucky.