PDA

View Full Version : painting the inside of an overflow (with solution!)

lastlight
04-13-2009, 12:45 AM
My tank builder gave me the remaining paint from when he painted the back of my tank black. It is an acrylic latex. I used this inside my external overflow to hide all my plumbing but after a few days of water circulation it started to peel in several lrge sheets.

Can someone recommend a material/piant to do this? I'd prefer a paint so the space looks the same as my tank back. A piece of acrylic plastic would work but def look quite a bit different from the rest of the tank.

- needs to be marine safe when it's dried
- not peel off glass
- prefer something i can brush on. getting in the overflow now is by brush only. spray paint would be VERY tough.

Thanks folks.

Skimmerking
04-13-2009, 01:04 AM
why bother man , after awhile the coraline will cover it

Steve-O-
04-13-2009, 01:53 AM
I used to just line mine with colored acylic sheets just buy the size u need and cut it to size costs just as much as paint would

lastlight
04-13-2009, 02:20 AM
Yeah I would of course that's easy.

My concern is the black looking the same as the rest of the black. A piece of black acrylic placed against glass and black paint actually adhered to glass look a lot different. I don't want that massive rectangle to stick out like a sore thumb.

Also, I'm keeping the back cleaned.

brizzo
04-13-2009, 06:40 PM
Bah, you don't need to worry about it looking all that different. Like Mike said, coraline is going to cover it .... Let's put that aside, do you think anyone looking at beautifully epic stand+setup is going to even notice the overflow box? :razz:

lastlight
04-13-2009, 07:43 PM
You guys don't BELIEVE? I will keep the back black I tell ya :biggrin:

I think at this point I'm goin to paint it again and then silicone a piece of glass up against it to keep it dry. My other idea is to apply a layer of black silicone to the whole surface so it instead matches the 'black' of the silicone outline you can currently see faintly.

The problem with a piece of acrylic is I will see all the silicone holding it in place. I am FUSSY =)

hillegom
04-14-2009, 06:43 AM
test putting silicone onto acrylic, It does not hold very well

lastlight
04-14-2009, 08:12 AM
Yeah I doubt it would.

I've already drained the overflow and prepped it for another painting. I'm going to cut a piece of glass and silicone it against the painted area. My hope is the painted parts will be sealed off from the water falling into the box.

I'll post in a few days whether I was successful or not.

StirCrazy
04-14-2009, 01:10 PM
test putting silicone onto acrylic, It does not hold very well

actually on a face to face application silicone holds very well. I had to cut off the acrylic mounting plate that my float valve was attached to in my sump after 5 years of running. it is the edges that don't go very well with silicone.

Steve

hillegom
04-14-2009, 02:51 PM
ok stircrazy, thats good to know, I have never tried to silicone acrylic, because of what I read

Ron99
04-14-2009, 04:02 PM
AFAIK silicone is not good for bonding panels in acrylic tanks, i.e anything that is under pressure. But it is fine to bind baffles or overflows or anything that will not need to contain water pressure.

lastlight
07-29-2009, 04:24 AM
So I thought I'd update this thread since I found a great solution finally. So my original issue was wanting the black in my overflow box to match the black on the back of my tank. When you're talking about color up against glass and inside a wet area to boot...black can mean many different things and I'm fussy.

My first attempt was to just plaster paint all over the pane of glass with the leftover paint my builder gave me. It matched the back of the tank perfectly and the only thing you could notice if you looked really closely was the black silicone holding the overflow box to the back of the tank. Two different blacks but very close. Too bad the paint peeled after a few days with water in the tank. Also, with water touching the paint it did look just slightly different than the black on the back of the rest of the tank.

My second attempt was to again paint the pane of glass. I had a piece of glass cut to silicone in place OVER the newly painted pane. So the water would flow into the box over this new pane and it would protect my painted pane. I was about to silicone the pane in place and bailed last second. My thought was that the silicone would not adhere to the painted pane and just fall off and waste the last of my black silicone. Luckily it peels off in one nice sheet (it doesn't stick to glass that well!)

Tonight I wrapped up attempt three. This time i laid down painter's tape in a rectangular shape on the perimeter of the overflow interior. I then applied my two coats of black paint and removed the tape. So at this point i have a totally black tank background except for a 1" wide rectangular ring through which I can see into the overflow box. I then cleaned my new pane and the 1" track with acetone and siliconed it in place.

So here are the great things about this final solution:

- the overflow box paint matches the back of the rest of the tank. it never has water directly touching it so it's the same black and i don't need to worry about the paint being reef safe. I doubt it's an issue when cured anyways

- the silicone ring matches the existing silicone holding the box onto the tank. Like I said it's very close to the painted black. Nobody would notice but me =)

- I have a shiny new glass overflow over the paint. I can scrub it and clean it without worrying about scratching the paint.

That was all super long winded but hopefully it helps someone. Being in the tank on my bad knees meant I was in no mood to take pics sorry!

Ya Dude
07-29-2009, 04:55 AM
Wow what does that all mean.Try a pic my brian burns now.Ya,Thanks alot Boyeee.

lastlight
07-29-2009, 05:36 AM
http://www.fishbrains.net/images/build/paint.jpg

front view of tank/overflow. the white area is where the silicone went to add the inner pane.

banditpowdercoat
07-29-2009, 03:36 PM
I have a internal overflow box siliconed, works fine. I wouldnt use it for a tank joint at all, but just to stick acrylic together, its fine

Dez
07-29-2009, 03:45 PM
http://www.fishbrains.net/images/build/paint.jpg

front view of tank/overflow. the white area is where the silicone went to add the inner pane.

Come on Brett :), we need actual pictures.

lastlight
07-29-2009, 05:43 PM
i thought i NAILED it in photoshop. You can tell that's not my tank?

Daaaamn.