PDA

View Full Version : Flow

makana
04-12-2009, 10:51 PM
I started a 10g nano reef about 6 months ago. A little over a month ago I added a chromis. After two weeks with the levels ok I added a clown. The clown only lived for two weeks and died. He seemed fine the night before he died, ate like usual.

Now the only things I can think of are that the nitrate began climbing after adding the clown and I am still battling that, or the water flow. The Chromis is still fine but he does hide at night in a spot with no flow. Is it possible that the clown was overworked from not having a low flow spot?

The tank has a K1 and a rio nano skimmer for flow.

The nitrate is about 40ppm. It is hard to tell, I have a hagen kit and the colour is more like hot pink where the chart is a redder pink. The LFS said it was okay because it was under 50ppm.

Snaz
04-12-2009, 11:36 PM
Nitrates over 20ppm is cause for concern so yes you should address that soonest.

How many pounds of Live Rock do you have? Nitrate sources can include:

Dirty filter media such as floss, sponges. Make sure any media is replaced or rinsed as soon as it gets dirty, has ANY smell or just looks dirty.
Try testing your new water before adding it to the tank, might be bad water or salt.
Substrate - Are you using crushed coral? Lots of people complain CC is a detrius trap and causes their tests to climb up, especially if your a heavy feeder.
Left Over food - When you feed is everything eaten within 15 mins? Any food go uneaten? I rinse all frozen food before I place in the tank.

You night also want to try a handful of chaeto in a floating soap dish or just balled up and sitting in a corner. Chaeto is a great nutrient export. Maybe your test kit is faulty. Take a water sample to a buddy or LFS and confirm the results.

raisemyrent
04-13-2009, 05:03 AM
I say the nitrates did it. 40ppm is alot, over 2 week.s

I have a standard 10gal with a koralina nano and a rio nano skimmer as well, so a bit less flow, and the clown is always swimming, but that's clowns for you (even in th edark). I say al the swimming made it inhale more nitrates? I'd address the nitrates problem, try messing with your skimmer so that it skims more... and do daily water changes until they come in line

makana
04-13-2009, 05:32 PM
Thanks for your replies. I am really struggling with the nitrates issue. I have 5lbs of sugar sand for substrate. For rock I have 10lbs of base rock that I seeded with 2lbs of live rock. I have wondered if the base rock doesn't yet have the ability to break down the nitrate. From what I have read some people claim live rock does that and others claim it doesn't.

I have no filter to clean, just the skimmer with a bag of carbon. I feed the fish 1 flake crushed up each day. A piece of fook or two make it to the bottom there is nothing left in there by the next day. The hermit seems to pick it up.

I change 1 gallon once a week and have tried increasing that to 2. I am adding cycle with the water change. Nothing seems to help. Should I do more frequent water changes?

raisemyrent
04-13-2009, 05:41 PM
you're welcome. in a new tank, initially, the nitrates must be removed mainly by wtaer changes... the skimmer helps but the LR won't be up for it quite yet, IMO.

When my nitrites and ammonia normalised, I was changing 1gal every day religiously in my 10 gal. It was actually over a gallon, because I had a canadian gallon jug (4 litres). This is still not a shock to the inhabitants of a tank this size, and super easy to do, ebcause you can shake the container one day before, so mixing is easy (no need for powerhead in ab ucket, etc). Just makle sure you dont add it too fast as you may shock the inhabitants. also, watch the temperature differences.

I woudl recommend to change one gallon of water every day from nwo on, after a massive 40 or 50 % water change asap. 40ppm is wayy too high.

remember, dilution comes into play with water changes, so if nitrates are 10 and you change 20%, you end up with 8, then 6.4, etc... so you should start with a carefully planned massive water change...

as far as the sand goes, i cant remember the lbs, but my sand bed is between 2.5 and 3 inches deep... sounds like you only have a bit of sand in there

Snaz
04-13-2009, 06:28 PM
Thanks for your replies. I am really struggling with the nitrates issue. I have 5lbs of sugar sand for substrate. For rock I have 10lbs of base rock that I seeded with 2lbs of live rock. I have wondered if the base rock doesn't yet have the ability to break down the nitrate.

If you are seeding dead rocks then it might take awhile before they get functional. I would continue water changes until the rocks catch up.

makana
04-13-2009, 08:26 PM
Thanks for all the help! You guys are a big help.

Does everyone think the flow level I have is aceptable?

TheMikey
04-13-2009, 08:36 PM
My Corals and fish seem happy in my 15G. I have 2 x Koralia 1 powerheads and an Aquaclear 20 filter. The powerheads are pointed at eachother and merge somewhere in the center of the tank.

raisemyrent
04-13-2009, 09:01 PM
if it's annoying you, once you solve the nitrates problem, you can turn down the flow on your skimmer, but for now, leave it at max so that you get the max skimming from it... remember to also remove the little plug on the side of the intake to increase efficiency and get rid of those nitrates. otherwise, i think your flow is brisk, but ok.. i've seen some amazing reefs with some crazy flows

Myka
04-13-2009, 09:58 PM
Lots of good advice here, not much to add except that the cause of your nitrates could be many things, but I bet overstocking would have attributed. If I were you I would pick either 1 Chromis or 1 Clown, and then pick one smaller fish like a Goby, but be aware that the Chromis will turn into an @$$ when he gets a bit bigger so could very well kill a smaller Goby. Both Chromis and Clowns grow fairly large for a 10g, so having one of each would be too much imo. To have both of those fish I would suggest a 20g minimum. Or take the Chromis back and get a Clown instead?? :D

Oh, and it will take a good 8-12 months for the dry base rock to become fully functional live rock provided the base rock is high quality porous dried live rock from the ocean, and not a farmed rock from the land like CaribSea Reef Rock which will never become fully functional live rock in regards to nitrate processing.

makana
04-14-2009, 03:15 AM
Thanks for all the help!