PDA

View Full Version : Black bugs?

lobsterboy
04-12-2009, 03:43 AM
i need some help, i have noticed tonight that on my birdnest that there are these tiny tiny black spots, on the branches i tried google but got nothing.
i syphoned some off, and when shine a flashlight they come to the surface.
almost swim like flies.

HELP ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEA. I was freaking out but have calmed down much, :lol:

thanks guys

fishytime
04-12-2009, 03:52 AM
Red bugs???:neutral: Now youve got me freaked out.

fooser
RED BUGS!!!!! That is seriously not good. Do you treat any and all new additions to your system with special dip? Someone with as much SPS as you should DEFINITELY do so.

I dont know for sure , but little black dots from the human eye view is what red bugs look like. First thing that came to my mind. Notice any polyp retraction or just not as good polyp extension on your corals as compared to before? If so, high chances are you need some milbemycin oxime (interceptor).

sharuq1
Can you post a picture or is it too small? Have you noticed the coral going downhill at all?

lobsterboy
04-12-2009, 03:55 AM
thanks for the quick replies, i just noticed them 5min ago, could have been there all day, i try and get a pic, but no guranitee.

all polyps are out, not retracted

Ya Dude
04-12-2009, 03:57 AM
red bugs or acro bugs dont infest anythng but acros.

saltynuts
04-12-2009, 03:58 AM
red bugs will swarm like flys on poop!
intercepter is the only way i know of.

Aquattro
04-12-2009, 04:05 AM
They aren't red bugs on a birdsnest. And red bugs are red, not black. I've seen these before, I did a FW dip and they went away, IIRC. Never noticed anything bad from them though...and don't recall what they were on, maybe a cap?

lobsterboy
04-12-2009, 04:06 AM
centre black dots

http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr329/lobsterboy1000/IMG_3695.jpg

just checked all others, now seen this on purple digi
little black dot
http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr329/lobsterboy1000/IMG_3698.jpg

is it RED BUGS...?

Aquattro
04-12-2009, 04:09 AM
is it RED BUGS...?

No, they're black.

lobsterboy
04-12-2009, 04:11 AM
so they are black bugs? will they spread whats the deal? will i have to treat all colonies?

Aquattro
04-12-2009, 04:15 AM
As I mentioned, I never saw anything bad from them, and I recall finding some posts on RC about them, but that was years ago. I figure if I don't remember, they weren't a problem. Red bugs I remember very well!

lobsterboy
04-12-2009, 04:17 AM
ok, anyone want to add to this?

Powertec
04-12-2009, 04:33 AM
Those aren't red bugs...I HAVE red bugs...lol

I checked all the frags i got from you and there is nothing on them. They aren't doing any damage at all?

Anything new you put in there lately?

lobsterboy
04-12-2009, 04:35 AM
yes:redface:

Powertec
04-12-2009, 04:38 AM
Sent you a pm...

lobsterboy
04-12-2009, 05:15 AM
so i clipped what i could to remove the branches with the black spots.
using my fingers as a press so they couldnt fly into the water coloum.
any want some FREE frags, :lol:
http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr329/lobsterboy1000/IMG_3704.jpg

lobsterboy
04-12-2009, 05:16 AM
there were spots that were deep inside the colony ,but cant get to them.

are all wrasses, predators to these pests?

might be seeing you tomorrow Doug. :lol:

Aquattro
04-12-2009, 05:17 AM
What exactly are they doing that warrants cutting branches off?

lobsterboy
04-12-2009, 05:29 AM
well it was total cause for alarm, as there have been numberous cases in calgary of people getting hitchers on there corals. but thats my problem for not QT or Dipping, i take full responsilbity for that.
but now i am in the hot seat, and unsure of what these are, and taking no chances.
so you had these on your Birdnest before, and what happened to them? they went away or do you have a predator that eats them? if so what do you have
?

marie
04-12-2009, 05:41 AM
well it was total cause for alarm, as there have been numberous cases in calgary of people getting hitchers on there corals. but thats my problem for not QT or Dipping, i take full responsilbity for that.
but now i am in the hot seat, and unsure of what these are, and taking no chances.
so you had these on your Birdnest before, and what happened to them? they went away or do you have a predator that eats them? if so what do you have
?

I think you need to take a deep breath and grab a beer. If there are that many then they have been in your tank for a while, if there is no damage then they are harmless :biggrin:

lobsterboy
04-12-2009, 05:42 AM
ok

Snappy
04-12-2009, 05:42 AM
?John as stated those are not red bugs. It is my understanding that the black bugs are in nature similar to red bugs and considered a pest. They can be treated with interceptor as well. The black bugs are less common and there seems to be less known about them.
I am not sure of the exact type of damage they cause but first and foremost.....don't panic.

lobsterboy
04-12-2009, 05:46 AM
John as stated those are not red bugs. It is my understanding that the black bugs are in nature similar to red bugs and considered a pest. They can be treated with interceptor as well. The black bugs are less common and there seems to be less known about them.
I am not sure of the exact type of damage they cause but first and foremost.....don't panic.

I have chilled out abit, as the lights are off on the tank now. :lol:

wait to see what tomorrow brings, anyways there is an important lesson learned here. always, QT or Dip your new frags and or colonies, it not worth the risk.

thanks to all those who PMD me offering to help, i was really impressed.

marie
04-12-2009, 05:47 AM
do you want those frags then?

I doubt they would survive the trip to powell river :lol:

lobsterboy
04-12-2009, 05:49 AM
I doubt they would survive the trip to powell river :lol:

:lol:

anyone seen a dragon face pipe fish in calgary?