PDA

View Full Version : What eats grape caulerpa?

christyf5
06-22-2003, 12:55 AM
Bloody stuff is getting out of control. I can't seem to keep up with it anymore. Any suggestions?

Christy :)

StirCrazy
06-22-2003, 01:34 AM
good to see I am not alone in this one.. I am thinking of trying a rabbit fish or two. or a pressure washer :mrgreen:

Steve

Jack
06-22-2003, 02:43 AM
Any suggestions?

A toothbrush and 6 hours of scrubbing and tank dismantling. It worked for me :mrgreen: :wink:

I'm thinking of picking up a yellow tang because J&L doesn't have any rabbitfish in while I was there today. I will just pick one up on my way home tommorow. Hope it works *cross fingers* because I see some strands of caulerpa comming back even after scrubbing all the rocks two weeks ago! :neutral:

or a pressure washer :mrgreen: Now you're talkin!

Beverly
06-22-2003, 03:01 AM
Bloody stuff is getting out of control. I can't seem to keep up with it anymore. Any suggestions?

When we had our 75 gal a few years ago, grape caulerpa got waaaay out of control. Pulling it out bit by bit did nothing but make it grow faster :evil:

So, I got serious. Got a few buckets full of changewater, pulled each rock out and took the tweezers to the stuff. Its roots were embedded everywhere, but tweezing EACH little bit of it off worked. Rock that was cleaned went into buckets until the whole 100 lbs of LR were cleaned. Took two days to get all the caulerpa off the rock, but had that rock for two years afterward and no caulerpa ever grew back :smile:

ganowicki
06-22-2003, 03:38 AM
Hey Christy I'll grab some off of you. My foxface loves the stuff.

Trevor Robertson
06-22-2003, 06:02 PM
If you would want to ship some I would like to add some to my tank, I had some before but my yellow tang ate it all in just one week!!

Michael
06-23-2003, 12:48 PM
I wish I could keep the stuff in my tank. Whenever I add some calupera, it's gone is a few days!!
I try to hide it from him...but he always gets it!
-
--On the bright side, he looks very healthy. :smile:
-I'll have to get my refugia setup so I can keep a supply of that stuff around.

Michael

Son Of Skyline
06-24-2003, 01:01 AM
I've had both a foxface and naso tang eat grape caulerpa. I had so much of the stuff I *almost* packed it in and gave up on reefing. These fish definitely keep it under control. I know the grape caulerpa is still there, but it never gets a chance to grow. I have a feeling that if my foxface ever died the caulerpa would come back.

Good luck!

Aquattro
08-23-2003, 11:30 PM
I just pulled a bunch from my refugium and fed it to both my tangs. They just love the stuff. I added a rock that was covered this morning, and now the rock is bare!

Dorkel Marine 1
08-26-2003, 07:44 AM
Hey I had grape caulerpa going nuts. I just spent the whole day taking each rock out and with tweezers in hand pull every stinkin root out. I hope that does it. One day I'll have a bigger tank and I'll have the luxury off adding a tang or foxface to deal with the menacing stuff. I've never seen anything grow so fast.

George