PDA

View Full Version : adding live rock

68shelby
04-12-2009, 01:32 AM
I have an existing 100G with a sump directly below in the stand. I am in the process of setting up a larger sump downstairs, that will include a refuguim, sand, and live rock (rubble). My question is do I need to cure the live rock rubble? it will probably be less than 5 lbs. Any suggestions? And what is the best type lighting for the refugium. It will be run opposite hrs.

Thanks

mark
04-12-2009, 01:39 AM
for curing depends how cured it is when you get it. If from a LFS and been in a tank won't bother, shipped a distance probably.

As for a fuge light, like my spiral CF (see here (http://canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=51621))

justinl
04-12-2009, 02:12 AM
even when it's been at the lfs for a long time, I like to always play it safe and dump it in a bucket or tote or spare tank with water, an airline and a heater for a couple weeks. Even if it's already been cured, it gives me a chance to closely observe the rock and look for unwanted critters like eunicid worms, mantis shrimp, and the various anemones/hdroids, etc. Obviously if it's in a spare tank it makes that job easier.

mark
04-12-2009, 02:50 AM
good point on the QT, ideally everything wet should go through a quarantine.

68shelby
04-12-2009, 04:32 AM
I have a quarantine tank and I can do that? Thanks for all the help.

justinl
04-12-2009, 05:00 AM
good point on the QT, ideally everything wet should go through a quarantine.

everything?! water too? oh crap. :biggrin: