PDA

View Full Version : painting back wall of tank

mrcopitr
02-10-2002, 09:28 PM
Hi guys,

Could someone tell me if I should use a oil base or water base paint for my tank outside back wall?

Thank you
Marco

Troy F
02-10-2002, 10:12 PM
I am using oil based. I don't know if that is the best, I know it was suggested by the HD expert images/smiles/icon_wink.gif to use a primer first but that limits what colour you can use.

fishboy
02-10-2002, 10:17 PM
Hi Marco,

I used a enamel "spray-bomb" on my tank. The brand was Painters Touch but I think any good enamel paint would work. I sprayed it straight on the glass with out sanding the glass first(I cleaned it well of course) and it seems to have stuck very well and holds up to the water I have spilled on it. Hope that helps.

Canadian
02-10-2002, 11:36 PM
Just use a can of enamel or acrylic spray paint. Make sure the glass is nice and clean (use rubbing alcohol to remove any residue and make sure you keep the area you're going to be painting in clean so you don't get any stray lint sticking to it). And mask off the rest of the tank (including taping the top of the tank closed; you wouldn't want to get paint inside the tank and have it stick to the silicone). And do several light coats rather than one thick one or you'll get some runs that will show through from the front side of the tank.

farmerjo90
02-10-2002, 11:57 PM
Y paint your tank?

StirCrazy
02-11-2002, 01:24 AM
I just finnished putting the first coat of paint on the end of my tank, I am using the same blue marine enamal paint to do it as I used to paint the metal frame. the first coat went on a little streaky but thick and it was sticking good. I figure it will only take one more coat to have it look great.

Steve

UnderWorldAquatics
02-11-2002, 01:30 AM
I paint alot of the back walls of my tanks an I usually use a high quality marine paint otherwise salt creep eats away at the paint over time and chips it off.

pocilipora
02-11-2002, 03:09 AM
Industrial Plastics shops cary paint made for use on glass.

Bryan
02-11-2002, 04:07 AM
Whatever you use it really doesn't matter. What does matter is how it's applied. I have never had any luck in rolling or painting with a brush. The paint just peels off like sunburned skin. Use a spray paint.I used some cheap stuff from Home Depot and it worked great. You will have to use a lot of small coats to get the job done.

traco
03-17-2002, 02:07 PM
Would you apply the same kind of paint/technique for the outside of a Bak-Pak skimmer? This would cut down the slime growth.

daninbc
03-30-2002, 05:24 PM
I painted the back of my 75 gal with Tremclad Rust Paint. I applied it with a roller, and it looks great.

Dan