PDA

View Full Version : Tank Building and Edge Polishing

plutoniumJoe
04-10-2009, 05:35 PM
Things are getting closer for my planned 180gallon. Just wondering is there any reason to have the edges that will be in silicone polished? All exposed edges will be polished but I wonder if it makes any differences for the non - exposed edges.

Also I plan on euro bracing, for a 72inch out of 1/2 glass would 3 or 4 inch euro brace be best? If it is euro braced should I also Cross brace at the 1/3 and 2/3 mark? I am trying to balance aesthetics with strength.

LeeR
04-10-2009, 05:55 PM
last 3 tanks i've made i asked for just the exposed edges to be polished but they all came back fully polished... its probably more work for the people to figure out witch edges to be polished then it is to just do the hole thing. :mrgreen: i guess a rough sanded edge would have more surfice area then a polished edge which would giving you a stronger bond? not really sure though.

justinl
04-10-2009, 11:23 PM
for the sides left unsiliconed in the finished product, they should be polished so you don't cut yourself. or not, your choice, it really makes no difference. For edges that are to be siliconed, it is far better to have them a bit rough. not a huge problem if they're polished thuogh i don't think.

KrazyKuch
04-13-2009, 01:56 AM
I euro braced my 180G with 5/8" glass....4" wide on front and back and 2" wide on the sides!