PDA

View Full Version : Nuking Rhodactis?

kari
06-21-2003, 04:27 PM
Rhodactis (or Hairy Mushrooms) multiply like a plague in my tank. I don't mind the types that stay near the bottom like the Blue Tonga but these guys like the current and more intense light. They also seem to enjoy hanging out between sps colonies. Just wondering if anybody has any easy methods for relocating or even nuking them.

So far I tried;
1. the old manually ripping them out
2. covering them with rocks
3. injecting calcium hydroxide with syringe

Not much luck so far. Maybe I could try the cordless hammer drill out of my work truck :biggrin: .

Thanks for any suggestions

Kari

Beverly
06-21-2003, 08:28 PM
Just wondering if anybody has any easy methods for relocating or even nuking them.

I've successfully used CLR on aptasia. You might want to try that. Make sure you have lots of changewater or RO to rinse the rock well before putting it back in the tank.

kari
06-21-2003, 08:51 PM
Thanks for the idea Berverly but the rock has attached acro and so on. I would rather not pull out the rock. Strange to think that fish stores sell these mushrooms to dumbies like me. Yet another learning lesson :frown: I'm going to try injecting a variety of typically used supplements like Lugol's and see what happens. I'm sure there's something they don't like.

Kari

Beverly
06-21-2003, 09:05 PM
Thanks for the idea Berverly but the rock has attached acro and so on. I would rather not pull out the rock.

Oh, I didn't know the rock also had acro attached :confused:

Someone suggested injecting vinegar into my aptasia, though I've not tried it. If using vinegar, you may want to keep an eye on pH and you may need to add buffer to counteract the acidic vinegar.

Samw
06-21-2003, 09:20 PM
I had no problem using Frogspawn to sting my Xenia away. When I had a Plate coral, it would disintegrate any mushrooms that floated into it. So, some agressive LPS could be used to nuke your mushrooms.

If you have an extra head of Frogspawn, try placing it near the mushrooms bits that you couldn't pull out.

AJ_77
06-21-2003, 09:42 PM
Kari, I've also found a piece of your very own Torch to be excellent Blue Mushroom remover. Thing is, it's fairly efficient and non-discriminatory - will take out almost anything.

Haven't tried it on Green Hairy though. (Yet...)

Cheers,

kari
06-22-2003, 12:39 AM
Hey, I like the idea of using other tank inhabitants to assist me. Never thought of that. Thanks for the ideas, back to playing fish tank god.

kari