PDA

View Full Version : new fish QT time frame?

e46er
04-09-2009, 11:48 PM
i have a foxface and a hippo tang in QT right now they had a week in the QT with 0.3 mg/L copper and a week at 0.5 mg/L both fish are swimming actively and no signs of any disease or parasites is a good enough amount of time?
what is the usual/standard time frame?
first fish ive ever QT'ed by the way after the ich outbreak 2 months ago im not making that mistake again

Trigger Man
04-10-2009, 12:10 AM
Normally a Qt'ed fish stays in there anywhere from 3 to 5 weeks. To be safe I would keep your fish in the QT tank for atleast a couple of weeks but get the copper out of the tank (through the use of carbon). Then observe the fish for the next couple of weeks to make sure not ick is present.

e46er
04-10-2009, 12:30 AM
ok that makes sense good thing i asked. so if i put carbon in now 10 days or so ick should show up if still present correct? after that I'd be good?

Oxymoron
04-10-2009, 07:12 PM
What was introduced into your tank that caused the original ich outbreak.

e46er
04-10-2009, 10:41 PM
hippo tang which died in 6 days I took all the fish out into qt tank for 2 months cranked up the dt tank temp put them back in all is well now but I learned a lesson ich was not such a big deal in my planted tankso I didn't bother qting at first