PDA

View Full Version : Shipping tank - need some advice - thanks

TVR
04-09-2009, 06:07 PM
Hi All:
The story: My boss's friend in Taiwan shown me a really really nice aqua system that he custom made there and I can have it for free (Well, not actually with those I've done for him :lol: ) It's about 300G+ system fully equip'd
So, just talking about the big tank itself. my question is: Have anyone have tried / known / have / attemp about the shipping from Asia to Canada for this kind of frague shipping?
That genterment mentioned to me about the shipping with insurrance, but I never tried nor have seen this kind of shipping before; So need to see some ideas... on this before making decision.

Any advise, idea, knowledges... on this will be a great help to me.

Thanks in advance.

digital-audiophile
04-09-2009, 09:06 PM
IMO opinion, and experience doing a lot of sea freight as it applies to the oil and gas industry, the cost of shipping a big tank like that would cost more than buying new here.

brizzo
04-09-2009, 09:32 PM
I agree with digital-audiophile, unless you're a business with freight company connections; It's going to be costly.

The other side to that though, I don't believe many freight companies will allow you to insure anything made of glass...

GreenSpottedPuffer
04-09-2009, 09:46 PM
My father shipped his 8' 600G from Toronto to Singapore a few years back. He said it really wasn't that bad (just under 2 thousand). His tank is all sides low iron glass and all 1" thick, so the tank cost him a bunch and was worth shipping.

I think if the tank is free and worth what shipping will cost, then go for it.