PDA

View Full Version : Blastomussa Wellsi

Chad
06-21-2003, 03:07 AM
Ok, I was feeding my tank some bloodworms today and one happened to fall on the Blastomussa... It folded up and when reopened the bloodworm was gone. I did not know it did this.. So I was looking it up to see if I was suppose to be direct feeding.. but I found this.

"Blastomussa is photosynthetic and does not take any known foods"

Anyone out there experience this as well? I am gonna try again tomorrow and see if I can get a picture.

Chad

DJ88
06-21-2003, 09:10 AM
I used to turkey baste mine all the time. Usually when I was feeding any other LPS I had.

hth

Chad
06-21-2003, 02:39 PM
I used to turkey baste mine all the time. Usually when I was feeding any other LPS I had.

hth

Well I think some people need to re-do their writing then :biggrin: . I was truely amazed since when I researched this little guy I found no mention of it eating solid foods.

Chad

BC_Grl
06-21-2003, 04:00 PM
http://ozreef.org/directory/cnidaria/blastomussa_wellsi.html
this site says that it does eat live food.

Good luck with this guy.

Mak
06-21-2003, 08:01 PM
Yes, Chad they do eat live/prepared foods. I like what Delphinus's said some time ago "If it's got a mouth, it needs to be fed.". Also like DJ said use a Turkey Baster cause you are going to have to feed the Yellow Polyps when they are ready for you.

Chad
06-21-2003, 08:02 PM
Yes, Chad they do eat live/prepared foods. I like what Delphinus's said some time ago "If it's got a mouth, it needs to be fed.". Also like DJ said use a Turkey Baster cause you are going to have to feed the Yellow Polyps when they are ready for you.

Its not a big deal.. I got the stuff needed to do it. I just never knew they needed it.. Especialy since my coral book here makes no mention of it.

Oh well.. find something new everyday :biggrin:

Chad

ABreefkpr
07-06-2003, 12:50 AM
It's not that they need it, it's like a supplement. I have and open brain that I got from a LFS. The guy sold it to me for $25 because it didn't look healthy. I was feeding squid to other corals in the tank as well as the ricordia, the brain took all I could give it. When I stopped feeding it, it still doubled in size. I think they do well if you feed them but they can do fine living off their "zooanthellae" the symbiotic algae living within the coral. These algae feed the coral during their photosynthetic process.

Aquattro
07-06-2003, 01:29 AM
I think they do well if you feed them but they can do fine living off their "zooanthellae" the symbiotic algae living within the coral. These algae feed the coral during their photosynthetic process.

Sorry, gotta disagree. If these animals could survive without food, they wouldn't have mouths. Photosynthesis only supplies carbohydrates in the form of sugars. Corals still need proteins to facilitate tissue repair, reproduction and growth. Eric Borneman has a great series on feeding corals in reefkeeping.com e-magazine.

ABreefkpr
07-06-2003, 02:02 AM
You may be right to disagree but I don't feed my LPS's and they are doing great. Here is a quote from Marine Reef Aquarium Handbook by Dr. Robert J. Goldstein that supports my view, "Zooanthellae leak half their production of the sugar alcohol glycerol, the sugar glucose and the amino acid alanine to the host polyp" The amino acid alanine being a protein in it's broken down form. The coral does not have to expel the energy to break it down further.

Aquattro
07-06-2003, 03:01 AM
My experience is different. I fed my hammer when I first got it and it grew well; then I decided I didn't need to. Ove the next year, it stopped growing and then started to shrink. I started feeding again, and the growth has since resumed. My brain (the one in the tank) exhibits the same behaviour, although I've only had it about a year.
I see no reason to withold food from something with a mouth.

P.S. Who the heck is Robert J. Goldstein?? :cool:

ABreefkpr
07-06-2003, 04:21 AM
WHO is DR. Robert J. Goldstein? Who?
Just another guy who thought he could make a couple bucks by writing a book about the reef aquarium. Maybe all he made was the $20 from me. :lol:
I found that after I stopped feeding my open brain it's growth slowed down for awhile too, but it picked up again after it was used to not being fed.

Keith

Chad
07-06-2003, 05:00 AM
Well I have tried to feed my Blastomusa again but it doesn't seem to want it now? no clue.. and for some reason my Xenia seem to be shrinking and the tips are either missing or getting smaller.. I thought maybe the fish were nipping them?

Chad

ABreefkpr
07-06-2003, 05:25 AM
Regardless of what I said about my belief that they don't really need to be fed, Brad is right, it can only help. You can feed them with a commercial type food or blend frozen brine shrimp and spot feed them with a pippet. It should expand and extend it's polyps.

Chad
07-06-2003, 07:15 AM
I tried doing this.. I turned off all the PH the pumps etc.. so the water was still.. Then I tried to drop the stuff onto it. I got one on but the thing did nothing and I was trying to keep all the fish and shrimp at bay from getting this stuff.. was nuts.. I finaly gave up and turned everything back on and the shrimp ended up with what I was trying to feed the coral.. oh well.. will try again tomorrow maybe

ABreefkpr
07-13-2003, 08:04 PM
How are you making out feeding Blastomusa now Chad?

kgb
07-14-2003, 04:45 AM
hey guys how do you feed them ? is it blendered squid or .... i am confused

Dorkel Marine 1
07-14-2003, 08:05 AM
Where can you get one of these guys?

George

ABreefkpr
07-15-2003, 02:30 AM
Where can you get one of these guys?

George

J&L sells them as a swollen brain.