PDA

View Full Version : Running a skimmer WET/DRY

Skimmerking
04-07-2009, 06:04 PM
Ok I’m trying to get a better understanding of why, wetter skim mate is better than dry.
With a dry skim mate i hear that you are pulling more nutrients out, but i hear that with wet skim mate you are doing the same, but you are also helping out in water changes too.
Dry skim mate the skimmer is dirty more and faster. Wet skim mate you are cleaner skimmer, however you are having to watch your salinity more. Well in a beckett thou you are....
I’m having a nutrient problem with red cynao and trying to skim out a lot of crap like nutrients
Thoughts on it I have also heard that you can actually bring down the Nitrates in the tank by over skimming

Myka
04-07-2009, 06:10 PM
Look at flow, and possible over stocking issues. I don't think your skimmer will solve your problems. Check out the nuisance algaes guide in my signature too...maybe you simply just need to change a few basic things to get rid of it.

Rbacchiega
04-07-2009, 06:27 PM
I've had two outbreaks of cyano and in both cases I increased flow to the problem spot and skimmed wet. Cyano was gone in about 2 weeks. After that I went back to normal skimming and kept the added flow in the tank (doesn't harm anything in all reality, especially since you've got SPS if I remember correctly)

mr_alberta
04-07-2009, 06:48 PM
Wet skimming is useful in helping get small particles out of the water faster. BB guys tend to like wet skimming to reduce the amount of floaties in the water column.

Canadian
04-07-2009, 07:14 PM
Wet skimming is also employed by those of us who dose two-part or use a balling method (or balling light) because it helps diminish the effect of the dosed chemicals causing the salinity to rise.

brizzo
04-07-2009, 09:59 PM
This may be off topic, but related to the Cyano .. but have read about 1 day without lights, once a month Mike ?

Skimmerking
04-07-2009, 10:32 PM
well Im running the fauna Marin and trying to get the the low nutrients, I dont feed alot and i was skimming wet before, I cant see my self havign extra nutrients my load is that much for 160 gal. no Nitrates, Phosphates are at 0 but if i have red Cynao then there is something kicking into over drive here. The lights off for a day i head works too Nazerine. I have heard people running 2-4 days with out lights too I dont know if I want to try that thou with all my SPS

Aqua-Digital
04-07-2009, 10:38 PM
Silicates will be a great food source for Cyano.

But I still say you have had a nitrate spike while you were away (as per our phone conversation)

Go get another nitrate kit and try the test again.

Failing that you will have the Lith rock soon for complete tank stability and with that i will send you ultra Life, your cyano will be history then!

I would suggest dry skimming ;)

Skimmerking
04-07-2009, 10:41 PM
ya i am dry skimming Mike,:biggrin: as for low flow I have a mag 12 for a return and 2 x mp40W vortechs in the tank