PDA

View Full Version : Windex and a squeeky clean reef...

Hairytank
04-07-2009, 12:45 AM
Hello,

Well my son took it upon himself to help dear old dad and cleaned the tank with Windex...ohh and proceeded to spray it into the tank...:eek:
According to my wife there was not much sprayed in...

Well, there has been significant polyp withdrawl on a number of the corals and the Foxface seemed particularly distressed. Two 25% water changes over two days and things are slowly improving, but I may do another water change..

Thoughts?...other than..."that was a bad idea"...of course

Sam1969
04-07-2009, 12:51 AM
Water changes, water changes and more water changes ... My wife did the same thing to my tank 2 years ago and it took several water changes in the period of a week to get the amonia to drop to a reasonable level. you could try an amonia sponge in your sump or your reactor if you have one.

Myka
04-07-2009, 01:29 AM
Test your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates. Do waterchanges as needed. I would stick with 25% daily until it gets better. Some fresh carbon wouldn't be a bad idea either. Should be ok though! :)

fishytime
04-07-2009, 03:24 AM
+1 on all above advice.

Dude...Im sorry:neutral:.....The suspense is killing me....how are things doing? Let me know if you need any emergency help man.

Funky_Fish14
04-07-2009, 03:29 AM
IIRC - and like Sam sort of mentioned... I think windex is primarily Ammonia based? So basically water changes like was mentioned... carbon, and potentially an ammonia sponge... your tank should be alright! I clean the outside of my tank with windex all the time. That shouldnt cause any problem :)

Samw
04-07-2009, 04:38 AM
I nearly wiped out my 3.5G nano once when the net I was using was placed in the sink that was just cleaned with windex and then placed in the tank. Within hours, 50% of the livestock was dead.

Black Phantom
04-07-2009, 03:05 PM
"Kent" puts out a product called ammonia detox that works in minutes to drop the ammo levels. I had to use it once when I got sloppy with a cleaner:redface: It worked great but just dont over do it. Some of my softies closed up a bit but nothing died.

wickedfrags
04-07-2009, 03:35 PM
A good reminder why to never clean your tank with windex or comparable glass cleaners..vinegar in a spray bottle or even just plain water will accomplish the same thing, with less risk.

Agree with the others, imagine the water changes are helping out.

justinl
04-07-2009, 05:02 PM
why only 25%? I would definitely do at least an immediate 75% or more water change, then continue monitoring daily and water changing as needed.

Hairytank
04-08-2009, 03:44 AM
Thank you for all the advice.

Actually, I don't clean the tank with Windex...my son thought hey it cleans windows...why not the fishtank...at least he was trying to help.:biggrin:

Water changes, carbon and a heavy doses of frowning seem to have paid off for the most part. The polyps are at about 75% of what they were and the colour seems to be coming back in all but one so far.

BTW, I just noticed, my windex post was post 100 for me!
Do I get a toaster?

Myka
04-08-2009, 03:54 AM
BTW, I just noticed, my windex post was post 100 for me!
Do I get a toaster?

No, you get a bottle of Windex. :D

Good to hear it's all good.

RuGlu6
04-08-2009, 07:39 AM
Windex is amonia based, so as some one told amonia remover is a must.