PDA

View Full Version : Any interest in a large Hippo? Vancouver

GreenSpottedPuffer
04-06-2009, 11:02 PM
So for whatever reason, my Hippo just hates my Tusk fish. I can't decide if I can let him go or not but if someone wants him and has a great home, it would make the decision easier. He is VERY thick and healthy and doesn't bother any other fish other than the Tusk. My Sailfin and him get into the odd scuffle but its looking like maybe the Sailfin is starting it.

Anyways, don't know about price yet but it won't be much as a good home is more important. He's about 5-6" I would guess. Eats everything and anything :D

No smaller than a 180 please. He used to be in a 125 and it was too small for him. This is not first come first take him kind of thing. I want to find the best home I can for him.

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r179/Justinpsmith/353.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r179/Justinpsmith/aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa027.jpg

Lance
04-06-2009, 11:47 PM
Sorry Man. That's too bad. I'm sure you'll find him a good home though.

GreenSpottedPuffer
04-07-2009, 01:54 AM
OK, I am already getting PM's saying people will take him with times, dates, prices, ect.

I said this IS NOT FIRST COME FIRST TAKE HIM AWAY.

I just want to get a few options and then decide on a tank I think is best for him. He will not really cost you much, so price is not going to be an issue (whatever you can pay/trade and think is fair).

I prefer to know who you are if possible and know your tank. Im not trying to be difficult but I really want this fish to go to a good home. At this point there is no real rush...he is a bit of a bully towards the Tusk but not at all on the verge of killing him or anything. Its not a dire situation where he has to go tomorrow.

He has some ich still and pretty much always has. It doesn't seem to bother him at all but I should mention that.

GreenSpottedPuffer
04-07-2009, 01:56 AM
Sorry Man. That's too bad. I'm sure you'll find him a good home though.

Yeah too bad but I think for the long term its best.

Delphinus
04-07-2009, 02:17 AM
I have a 20g he could go in .. he'd be king of the tank. Willing to ship? I can pay for the envelope if need be.

tee hee hee. Sorry man, couldn't resist. :) Good luck, hope you find him a home. I had a similar dilemma last year letting go of some rabbitfish, but they went to a really good home (way bigger than what they were in) so sometimes these things work out. :)

GreenSpottedPuffer
04-07-2009, 02:24 AM
I have a 20g he could go in .. he'd be king of the tank. Willing to ship? I can pay for the envelope if need be.

tee hee hee. Sorry man, couldn't resist. :) Good luck, hope you find him a home. I had a similar dilemma last year letting go of some rabbitfish, but they went to a really good home (way bigger than what they were in) so sometimes these things work out. :)

:eyebrows: You've made me an offer I cannot refuse Tony!

Not too far off of one of the PMs to be honest...about how the tank was kind of small but he would be the only tang and the water is keep 'perfect'...yeah, I doubt he would mind going from a 125 to a 200 and then to a 90...suuuuuure...

I bet it sounds like I am being really defensive about this...and I am. This guy means a lot to me and Im not just going to give him away to the first 280G tank that offers.

Its amazing how presumptuous and bold people are when they think they can get a nice big hippo for cheap :(

Delphinus
04-07-2009, 02:36 AM
I've sold or traded corals or anemones to the wazoo but it was the first time I had ever sold a fish, so I was sort of weirded out by the whole process. But sometimes things have a tendency to work out for the better. Hope things work out one way or the other.

Diana
04-07-2009, 04:20 PM
Justin let me see if maybe one of our client's tanks would be a good fit for him. We are setting up a couple large systems in the next little bit.... and there is one 500 gallon right now we are cycling that he could go into down the road. :) I'll let you know when its ready and you can check it out.

Cheers
-Diana

GreenSpottedPuffer
04-07-2009, 04:34 PM
Justin let me see if maybe one of our client's tanks would be a good fit for him. We are setting up a couple large systems in the next little bit.... and there is one 500 gallon right now we are cycling that he could go into down the road. :) I'll let you know when its ready and you can check it out.

Cheers
-Diana

Sounds good Diana.

I will talk to you about it next time I see you.

GreenSpottedPuffer
04-11-2009, 03:46 AM
Bump...

I may want to get him out this weekend. Its starting to take its toll on my tusk.

Only PM if serious and have a big tank. He is very healthy but does have/get ich. It doesn't bother him at all but just something to be aware of.

We can negotiate a price based on what you can afford.

Drock169
04-11-2009, 08:14 AM
Diana i hope thats not the tank i'm thinking of.

skylord
04-11-2009, 05:18 PM
Funny....I was thinking the same thing

Scott

GreenSpottedPuffer
04-12-2009, 05:26 PM

Funny....I was thinking the same thing

Scott

Well that worries me...

Looks like hes staying though for now. The tusk will just have to deal with it. I had a chance to catch him when I redid my rockwork yesterday but no good homes to go to, so I left him in there.

If anyone is still interested, you can PM me still but I am not so sure I can catch him easily anymore.

I am thinking I might sell the Tusk instead.

Diana
04-12-2009, 11:10 PM
HAHA you guys are all boobs. Pfffttt you underestimate me and my fish placing skills.

Hippo tang would be VERY happy in a 300 gallon reef being currently built in-wall in west van. :D Sump is just going in... so it would be a couple months yet. ;)

-Diana

Skimmerking
04-13-2009, 01:18 AM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM boobs:lol:

Lance
04-13-2009, 02:07 PM
I am thinking I might sell the Tusk instead.

Really???? Say it isn't so.

Skimmerking
04-13-2009, 02:12 PM
see I was thinking of getting one but after getting a PM with the answer about tush fish, lance don't yours go after yuor shrimp and snails too

Lance
04-13-2009, 02:14 PM
see I was thinking of getting one but after getting a PM with the answer about tush fish, lance don't yours go after yuor shrimp and snails too

Nope. So far he's been a model citizen. Mind you, to be on the safe side i have large Turbos, and the shrimp are in the sump.

GreenSpottedPuffer
04-13-2009, 05:23 PM
Really???? Say it isn't so.

Well one has to go. It would be horrible to let the tusk go but I have a feeling it may be easier to find him a good home. People would be more interested in him than the hippo. If I can't find the Hippo a good home, then I may have to re-home the tusk for its own good :(

GreenSpottedPuffer
04-14-2009, 12:12 AM
HAHA you guys are all boobs. Pfffttt you underestimate me and my fish placing skills.

Hippo tang would be VERY happy in a 300 gallon reef being currently built in-wall in west van. :D Sump is just going in... so it would be a couple months yet. ;)

-Diana

Thanks Diana but that will be a little too far away Im afraid. I need to find a home much sooner I think.

Diana
04-14-2009, 12:25 AM
If you are willing to sell the Tusk Raf might be interested. Our 220 could house him. We do have some big bossy fish though, I wonder if he would be ok? Raf has been thinking of getting one for ages. LMK :)

GreenSpottedPuffer
04-14-2009, 12:33 AM
If you are willing to sell the Tusk Raf might be interested. Our 220 could house him. We do have some big bossy fish though, I wonder if he would be ok? Raf has been thinking of getting one for ages. LMK :)

Well I was just talking to my fiancee about him and actually the Tusk is the one fish she says absolutely cannot go. I agree. He is my favorite fish by FAR...I was just thinking that if I can't find a good home for the Hippo that maybe for his own good, the tusk would have to go.

The Tusk isn't in any kind of danger I don't think, so he will just have to deal with the chasing a bit longer until someone takes the Hippo. Im just not really impressed so far with the homes I have found. Most are just way too small.

Diana
04-14-2009, 04:38 PM
Its hard eh? When the store gets in big fish I just have to frown because there are so few aquariums out there that can properly house them. When we get our new house we are going to do a large in-wall acrylic FO tank, and give homes to big fish. :D I will be the Fish Whisperer.

I agree I would sooner part with the Hippo... Tusks are just too cool. Maybe some sort of ugly tank divider if the chasing gets outta control? Or give the Hippo a time out in a small tank. He will eventually learn his lesson. :P

I'll keep you in mind either way. :)

-Diana

my2rotties
04-14-2009, 04:50 PM
I had the same dilemma with my sohal tang for the past two months. I trapped him the other day and put him in my 90g. I thought I would keep him there for a time out. Then I saw a totally different community tank. My fish were out grazing, playing in the powerheads and were so happy and much more interactive. Fish that I would not see very much were out and about almost like they did not know my tank anymore...

I knew right then the sohal could never go back into my display. My sohal picked on a few fish but I did not realize his dictatorship in the tank. I brought him back to the LFS and I know they will find him a good home. As bad as I felt about it and how much I enjoyed this fish, he made life miserable for everybody.

I can bet if you took him out for a break you would never put him back in. I thought he just picked on a couple of fish, but everybody was stressed out by his presence. I feel bad I kept him for so long now. I might miss him, but nobody else does.

GreenSpottedPuffer
04-14-2009, 05:57 PM
No taking him out will not change the tank much. I exaggerate very much when it comes to aggression because to me fish just looking at each other wrong is bad. I have kind of a zero tolerance thing for aggression.

A few people have been by recently to see the tank and actually laughed at what I call 'aggression'. Its really not that bad and no fish are cautious/stressed because of him including the tusk. I just prefer that the once or twice a day that the Hippo chases the tusk stops. They swim side by side most of the day in fact...

I have not seen him chase the tusk in a few days now.

I refuse to take him to a LFS. I care about this fish and need to know he goes to a good home.

my2rotties
04-14-2009, 06:14 PM
I had no choice but to take my guy back to where I purchased him at. I could not with a clean conscience sell him to someone on Canreef knowing how disruptive and nasty he was. I did have a few PMs and and I made mention that he was not peaceful at all. Of course they did not want to take that risk. The worst thing would be to put him into a home and have him bully and stress the other fish.

Colby and I are good friends and he put my sohal in a giant 10 foot long tank. I could not be happier with him being there, and know he will be just fine. I know Colby will let any interested parties know that this fish does not get along with others aside of puffers, and triggers. I waited for as long as I could hoping he would settle down... when he started bossing and beating on my naso tang it was game over. My naso is the most peaceful and gentle fish, I could not let it happen any longer.

It was a very tough choice to make for me, but my community of fish are so happy, and that is what counts. I have removed a huge rabbitfish, the sohal, a clownfish, and two damsels at this point. It was hard for me to do, but it was for the best. The sohal and rabbitfish more then doubled in size in the time I had them and just did not get along with the other fish in my tank.

I know you know what is best and it took me a very long time to figure out what had to be done. At least you didn't have your sailfin tang almost cut in half (she is okay now), and constant chasing and bullying. Your hippo tang is beautiful and I would be hard pressed to let her go as well. I would imagine if your tusk fish had enough he would defend himself with those choppers. I would have never thought they would be so peaceful. I drool over the one that is at the LFS everytime I go in there...

No taking him out will not change the tank much. I exaggerate very much when it comes to aggression because to me fish just looking at each other wrong is bad. I have kind of a zero tolerance thing for aggression.

A few people have been by recently to see the tank and actually laughed at what I call 'aggression'. Its really not that bad and no fish are cautious/stressed because of him including the tusk. I just prefer that the once or twice a day that the Hippo chases the tusk stops. They swim side by side most of the day in fact...

I have not seen him chase the tusk in a few days now.

I refuse to take him to a LFS. I care about this fish and need to know he goes to a good home.

GreenSpottedPuffer
04-15-2009, 02:07 AM
I had no choice but to take my guy back to where I purchased him at. I could not with a clean conscience sell him to someone on Canreef knowing how disruptive and nasty he was. I did have a few PMs and and I made mention that he was not peaceful at all. Of course they did not want to take that risk. The worst thing would be to put him into a home and have him bully and stress the other fish.

Colby and I are good friends and he put my sohal in a giant 10 foot long tank. I could not be happier with him being there, and know he will be just fine. I know Colby will let any interested parties know that this fish does not get along with others aside of puffers, and triggers. I waited for as long as I could hoping he would settle down... when he started bossing and beating on my naso tang it was game over. My naso is the most peaceful and gentle fish, I could not let it happen any longer.

It was a very tough choice to make for me, but my community of fish are so happy, and that is what counts. I have removed a huge rabbitfish, the sohal, a clownfish, and two damsels at this point. It was hard for me to do, but it was for the best. The sohal and rabbitfish more then doubled in size in the time I had them and just did not get along with the other fish in my tank.

I know you know what is best and it took me a very long time to figure out what had to be done. At least you didn't have your sailfin tang almost cut in half (she is okay now), and constant chasing and bullying. Your hippo tang is beautiful and I would be hard pressed to let her go as well. I would imagine if your tusk fish had enough he would defend himself with those choppers. I would have never thought they would be so peaceful. I drool over the one that is at the LFS everytime I go in there...

Well thats a different situation. If I had that choice, he would go to the LFS in a heartbeat ;)

Bump :)