PDA

View Full Version : Tunze powerhead and controller settings?

newreefer_59
04-06-2009, 04:45 PM
I have 4 Tunze 6055 powerheads in my 150 gallon tank (60 X 24 X 24) and the 7095 controller that I would like to optimize with its abilities. But I always seem to have a lot of detritus, etc accumulating on the rocks and bottom of the tank in between my 15% weekly water changes.

Can you forward me advice on where the powerheads should be stratigically positioned within the tank and where the sliding bar should be set on the back. It goes from 12 to 24 volts and I assume the 24 volts puts out a stronger current, but is there a downside to that? LFS said to leave it at 12v?!

Also, I have the controller set on 'sequential' at present. Is there a more optimum setting you would recommend? The tank is a sump set-up with overflow box. Any advise is appreciated.:smile:

fkshiu
04-06-2009, 06:31 PM
First of all what are you keeping in your tank and do you have any substrate?

Second of all, what do you have your rockwork like? Is it a wall along the back pane or like a island(s) that water can flow around?

Third of all, regardless of what anyone else (incl. your LFS) tells you, ask Roger Vitko on the Tunze forum over on Reef Central and you will get "The Answer".

newreefer_59
04-06-2009, 11:26 PM
No substrate as of yet, but would like some for asthetic purposes once I am more established.....tank is 4 months old with live rock all about 4" or so off the glass in an island type scenario.

I have a few LPS corals at the moment and hope to keep some SPS at mid tank or so eventually......no fish yet, but will add a small fish soon.

fkshiu
04-07-2009, 03:51 AM
Just LPS now and the LR in an island shape? This is what I would do:

1. Put two of the 6055s away, you don't need them yet.
2. Take the front covers off of the other two 6055s and remove the plastic lip that protrudes inside with a dremel tool (it kinda acts as a shroud over the propellor). Sand it down until the inside of the cover is completely smooth. You're going to unleash a lot of flow out of your 6055s this way. My 6055 can reach all the way across a 6' tank whereas before the mod it ran out of gas a around 4'
3. Place a 6055 on each side at the back near the top pointing towards the front middle of the tank.
4. Set the Multicontroller to Interval One with at least a 30 minute interval and 5 second pulse (min to max). Put one 6055 on channel 1 and the other on channel 2.

What you'll end up with is a Gyre (think a whirlpool) that will actually accelerate because of centrifugal force. The Gyre will reverse itself every when the Interval switches. Since water can flow all around the LR you can get away with using less powerful pumps to get the same amount of flow - you'll only be using one 6055 at a time.

Later on when you add SPS you can simply add the other two 6055s slightly lower down in the tank.

RuGlu6
04-07-2009, 06:44 AM
I also have Tunze multi controller and i set my pumps in such way that one piks up the flow from another and second one pointing toward surface.
then repeat. In this way flow is much greater then every pump just blows in what ever direction.
So detritus is mostly suspended and skimmed .
But try to play and see when dirt is ending up at the spot that is easier to clean.