PDA

View Full Version : need an id

Nihoa
04-06-2009, 01:39 PM
from a friends tank, best guess are these are eggs of some type? stock list includes 2 cucumbers, snails (trochus, cerith, astrea, nassarius), Kole tang, Yellow tang, Lemark's angel, Flame angel, Squareback antheis, Cooperband, 6-line and a chromis.

his description:

"Found 6 of these last night on the glass, 3 pairs stacked on top one another and this morning there was 7. They're about 3 mm. long, transparent and kind of a 4 sided segmented cone shape, 3 segments on the top half with the bottom half being the 4th segment with a seed like stucture inside."

http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/1808/dsc000642.jpg

Myka
04-06-2009, 05:15 PM
Very cool!! I have no idea what that may be though. I would have guessed a tunicate of some sort just by the photo, but if they are showing up that fast I'm thinking they are eggs, but I don't think they are from anything on that stock list...

untamed
04-06-2009, 06:20 PM
That is very cool... However, I offer the following thought:

Most critters who would lay eggs and leave them unattended, would probably lay a LARGE number of eggs in order to increase the chances of survival. I'm sure there are exceptions to this strategy...but...

Given that thought...I'm guessing that these are not eggs. Something else.

Nihoa
04-06-2009, 08:49 PM
he said they seem to get more plentiful overnight. sounds like something is laying them.

Koresample
04-07-2009, 01:30 AM