PDA

View Full Version : Anemone for a biocube

rudy
04-06-2009, 02:20 AM
Is there anything aI can get for stock 14 g biocube with stock lighting?

Myka
04-06-2009, 03:51 AM
I wouldn't...lighting isn't strong enough imo.

Chaloupa
04-06-2009, 06:22 AM
I agree with Myka...lighting just isn't strong enough stock...sorry

whatcaneyedo
04-06-2009, 08:42 AM
How about a torch coral? They kind of look like an anemone and aren't nearly as demanding.

Keri
04-06-2009, 08:08 PM
Aiptasia lol...

The LFS may tell you that stock lighting is OK for a bubbletip anemone but long term it really isn't, and when an anemone gets sick in a tank that size things can go south really quickly.

The above poster has a good suggestion with a torch coral, (or hammer or frogspawn) - they look a little like an anemone and have been known to host clownfish, just make sure your clown isn't too big for it, they can "love" them to death :)

digital-audiophile
04-06-2009, 08:55 PM
I've seen it done on nano-reef.com. With suplimental feedings you could keep a BTA alive with the stock lights but it would not really thrive in the long term.

fooser
04-07-2009, 07:30 PM
I think this can be done. I kept a RBTA in my stock 14gallon bio cube for about 1.5 years and it was very healthy with bubbly tips and bright pink color. The reason I had to take it out is because it eventually got so big that it took up almost half the tank and stung other things (the person who took that anemone off me could vouch for the size). If you stick with a smaller one you could probably do it though. but who knows, maybe that was a freak incident with a very hardy anemone. Either way, good luck!

BC564
04-07-2009, 10:30 PM
I actually have one in my 14 gal biocube at my office. It has grown quite a bit and has colored up very nice compared to the white bleaching color they have when you get them from the LFS. He has moved himself right to the top of the rock so he is getting pretty good lighting there.

oilfieldsafety
04-12-2009, 03:27 PM
I had a Rose bubble tip in my 14, it grew from 2" to 12" in 14-15 months. It settled on the top of the LR and I did supplemental feeding one a week.

Shane