PDA

View Full Version : Water proof sealant.. Recommendations..

JDigital
04-06-2009, 12:22 AM
So while I am in the process of building my 187 tank stand, I've decided that I want to seal the bottom to prevent any leaks/spills from reaching the carpet..

Anyone got any proven recommendations for wood sealer that is completely waterproof? Similar to a lacquer finish?..

After spraying/painting it, I will silicone along all the joints for extra protection.

Pazil
04-06-2009, 12:54 AM
You could always put a Kerdi membrane in there.... If applied properly it will never leak. I use this product in all of the showers I do.

http://www.schluter.com/8_1_kerdi.aspx

Cheers
Lawrence

JDigital
04-08-2009, 03:32 PM
Thanks Pazil...

Any other suggestions?

michika
04-08-2009, 03:38 PM
Lots of people on RC builds have been using Kiltz and sealing the corners either before or after painting with silicone.

fkshiu
04-08-2009, 03:56 PM
I incorporated a little spill tray into the bottom of the stand for the sump to sit in and lined it with some leftover Schluter Kerdi I had from my basement reno. That spill tray and Kerdi has saved my ass countless times. I also painted the rest of the inside with Killz sealer and siliconed all the joints/gaps.

parkinsn
04-08-2009, 03:57 PM
Not sure what its called or where you would get it, but i have seen people use "paint on" fiberglass on plywood tanks. If it works on a plywood tank to hold water, I dont see why it would not work to line the inside of your stand. Maybe someone knows what im talking about?

Pescador
04-08-2009, 05:02 PM
There is always Minwax Helmsman marine spar varnish, works great on my boat.

new but handy
04-08-2009, 10:11 PM
why not a laquer finish. Marine bottem kote. long strand fiberglass paint(canadian tire automotive section) epoxy garage floor paint. (That's what on mine)

brizzo
04-09-2009, 12:14 AM
I would lean towards any 2-part epoxy/resin system for waterproofing. Like parkinsn suggested, the fibreglass paint that is used for plywood tanks (no idea what it is :sad:)

Are the mods on holidays? :razz: Shouldn't this be in the DIY section?