PDA

View Full Version : MH bulb reccomendations?

banditpowdercoat
04-05-2009, 02:12 AM
Well, I just recieved a couple 175Wmh Pendants from MikeP here. I have a couple questions. First, its 2 pendants, lamp shade style. I think white inside for reflector, which I know wont reflect very well. I got them to try MH, see how much heat it adds, and how the light looks. I am starting to get into SPS and dont think my T5's will cut it??? My tank is a 1/4 round, 24" radius, 20" tall. I will probibally make a hood, with some T5 suppliments as well?? Kinda like making a sunrise/sunset not just On/Off.

1st, do you think I'll need both 175W pendants on my tank?

2nd, what color, K rating bulb/s should I get? Presently running Geismann Actinic + and Midday. I want my colors to POP.

Heres a pic of my tank now. Thats a 24" 4 tube TEK on there now.
Thx in advance
http://banditpowdercoat.com/Powdergallery/nfpicturepro/albums/userpics/10002/Dsc00005%20%283%29.jpg

Myka
04-05-2009, 02:16 AM
Is it an electronic ballast? SE? If so, I would strongly recommend an Iwakasi 15K. It is a PAR buster, meaning that particular ballast/bulb combination puts out an unusually high PAR for the amount of watts - more than many 250w combos. If that's your case, I would think that a single 175w would do the trick for you.

banditpowdercoat
04-05-2009, 02:25 AM
No, there Mag ballasts, but they are a start. I was thinking later upgrading to 250W electronics. BUt I needed the Pendants first as no hood on tank. heres a pic of the pendants from MikeP. Not my tank

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q117/MikeP471612/190g%20Tank/e9560e6e.jpg

The inside of the shade

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q117/MikeP471612/190g%20Tank/IMG_3822.jpg

StirCrazy
04-05-2009, 04:33 AM
Carful on the bulb you get, make sure it is not a horazontal only bulb. bulbs come in horazontal, vertacle and universal. you talk right now looks about a 14K bulb, well closer to 12-13K but 14 will be simular

Steve

banditpowdercoat
04-06-2009, 01:53 AM
So, Ushio, Hamilton, XM???? Probe start I assume? WHat works for Vertical mount? I will be ordering most likely form J&L Or OA

OceanicCorals-Ian-
04-06-2009, 01:59 AM
Is it an electronic ballast? SE? If so, I would strongly recommend an Iwakasi 15K. It is a PAR buster, meaning that particular ballast/bulb combination puts out an unusually high PAR for the amount of watts - more than many 250w combos. If that's your case, I would think that a single 175w would do the trick for you.

I agree with this 100%, that Iwasaki bulb is a monster.

mark
04-06-2009, 02:58 AM
Got a 14K 175W from e-bay (here (http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Trust-Deals-Lights_Aquarium-Reef-Metal-Halide_W0QQLHQ5fSellerWithStoreZ1QQLHQ5fTitleDescZ 1QQ_fsubZ12213027QQ_sasiZ1QQ_sidZ60008317QQ_trksid Zp4634Q2ec0Q2em322)) for $27 cdn. It's been over the frag section of the sump for a couple of weeks. Can't say I've noticed much growth but really like the colour. Nice crisp white, touch of blue.

fkshiu
04-06-2009, 03:19 AM
So, Ushio, Hamilton, XM???? Probe start I assume? WHat works for Vertical mount? I will be ordering most likely form J&L Or OA

You're going to have to check with the manufacturer. Most people nowadays run their MH bulbs horizontally. Those bell pendants are kinda old school having the the bulbs oriented vertically relative to the water.

banditpowdercoat
04-06-2009, 03:35 AM
So can these Iwaski's be used with mag style ballasts? Where to get some?

fkshiu
04-06-2009, 03:41 AM
So can these Iwaski's be used with mag style ballasts? Where to get some?

Both OA and J&L sell them. They can be used with magnetic ballasts but they really come alive on an electronic ballast. In fact, the Aqualine Blushke 175W SE bulb out-PARs the Iwasaki slightly on a magnetic ballast.

Myka
04-06-2009, 03:44 AM
I'm not totally sure, but I think a pulse start magnetic ballast won't fire up the Iwasaki, you would need a probe start, or electronic or HQI ballast. You won't get quite the peformance on the probe start at you would on an electronic ballast, but it is still a good bulb. Expensive though...just over $100. J&L has them.

fkshiu
04-06-2009, 03:51 AM
I'm not totally sure, but I think a pulse start magnetic ballast won't fire up the Iwasaki, you would need a probe start, or electronic or HQI ballast. You won't get quite the peformance on the probe start at you would on an electronic ballast, but it is still a good bulb. Expensive though...just over $100. J&L has them.

The Iwasaki will work with a probe start 175w ballast (M57). I've never heard of an HQI 175W ballast. I probably will NOT work with a pulse 175w ballast.

http://www.manhattanreefs.com/lighting2/tabular-lamp-data.php

banditpowdercoat
04-06-2009, 04:02 AM
How does one tell if it's a Probe or Pulse start? You know, all my years as an electrician, I just put the darn things up, and change the light bulbs. I have never paied attn to what style they are. Just MH or HPS, and what wattage needed.

Is it just me, but nothing comes up when I click your Link Fkshiu. Just a black spreadsheet

Myka
04-06-2009, 04:18 AM
The Iwasaki will work with a probe start 175w ballast (M57). I've never heard of an HQI 175W ballast. I probably will NOT work with a pulse 175w ballast.

No in the case of 175w I've never heard of an HQI either! :lol:

I just checked J&L, and their website says: "Note: This bulb requires a probe start (standard) or electronic ballast to operate effectively." So you're right...I had it backwards. I knew one of them would possibly not work.

His link won't work because that website doesn't allow you to link to the "results" page. Try this link and fill out either "Ballast" or "Ballast and Lamp": http://www.manhattanreefs.com/lighting

fkshiu
04-06-2009, 04:41 AM
How does one tell if it's a Probe or Pulse start? You know, all my years as an electrician, I just put the darn things up, and change the light bulbs. I have never paied attn to what style they are. Just MH or HPS, and what wattage needed.

Is it just me, but nothing comes up when I click your Link Fkshiu. Just a black spreadsheet

Open up the box and look for the ANSI code. If it's probe then it will say "M57" somewhere. If it's pulse then it will have another code which I don't have handy now. Another way to tell is the number of components you see. If you see a capacitor and coil only then it is a probe ("cap 'n coil") but if you also see a third component inside - the ignitor - then it's a pulse start.

mark
04-06-2009, 11:43 AM
this link (http://www.aquarium-lighting-guide.com/metal-halide-ansi)has the ANSI codes with description.

StirCrazy
04-06-2009, 12:43 PM
ok a few things to clear up, no such thing as a 175 watt HQI, only 80watt, 150 watt and 250 watt. thats it for HQI.

a pulse start ballast will run any bulb, it is a probe start ballast that will not light a pulse start bulb. think of ballast in two groups

unaversal bulb group includes (HQi, Electronic and Pulse ballasts)
and
specific bulb, ie. Probe start ballast can only start a probe start bulb.

the only thing a pulse start ballast does to a probe start bulb is extend the life ot the bulb.

Steve

Son Of Skyline
04-07-2009, 03:59 AM
I'm currently running the Iwasaki 175w bulb on a pulse start pfo ballast without problems. Does anyone here have direct experience running this bulb with an electronic ballast AND with a magnetic ballast? Or is everyone going off of the Sanjay test numbers?