PDA

View Full Version : SW - Water Change - Need Help

TVR
04-04-2009, 04:05 PM
Hi All:
My tank had been up and running for a few months now (3-4 months tobe exactly) and haven't got any water change yet as I tried to follow what people mentioned about fully cycled. Now I wonder, should I atart soe water change sicne I start seeing some bad ageas (Like green hair, brownish...).
Any idea? - How about the Skimmer,when should it start being plugged in?

Thanks Guy

e46er
04-04-2009, 04:13 PM
i would get the skimmer going right away

i would start the water changes right away if not solely just to get into the habit of doing it

remember to mix the salt and water first to the same salinity and temperature

Aquattro
04-04-2009, 04:46 PM
Who told you not to do water changes? Yes, you should start doing regular water changes.

Myka
04-04-2009, 07:15 PM
I think he meant he was told not to do waterchanges during the cycle.

TVR, from your other posts your cycle has been done for awhile now. I remember you were worried about your 10 ppm nitrates and phosphates. If you haven't done any waterchanges yet that could be contributing to that. Your skimmer should have been plugged in from day one, so go ahead and plug that in right away. You should aim for 10-15% weekly waterchanges and see how that works for your tank...you may need to adjust that up or down.

Aquattro
04-05-2009, 12:06 AM
I think he meant he was told not to do waterchanges during the cycle.

Yes, which is what I was questioning.

TVR
04-05-2009, 12:18 AM
Well,
First of all, thanks everyone for your help.
Second, thereason I haven't done any water change because according to some of my reading, with my tank size (about 200 total or more), should take afew month to have it cycled. Eventough it looked cleared and "sound like cycled now, but I am not so sure about. Even though I do have some invert, 2 clown and very a few soft corals and they are doing ok inthere, but still, not so sure.
I started mixed the soft in the 29G lastweek and get powerhead_heater running, I can do water change anytime now. Thanks for your helps.
Oh, about the green HA stuff. Thanks heaven that my Cerith snails (I have about 10-15 now) they are eating those like crazy. But I do ahve to set them "back to their feet" quite offen since those cuties keep get "out of track" and climb onto glass... So after reading an article about cerith, I tried to "put" them onto those Mr. Hairy and I can see a significant change - Not much yet since I just started "re-possition" them from yesterday, but looklike I found a way out of those urgly hairy stuff.

Thanks guy.
I'll do what you told me right away: Water change and skimming.

Man, have admit that I love this site - BIG HELP !!!

:redface:

Myka
04-05-2009, 12:19 AM
Lots of people suggest not doing water changes during the cycle. Personally, I only do water changes during the cycle when ammonia gets to 2 ppm. Tanks take various amounts of time to cycle, but it isn't usually dependant too much on size. The same thing needs to happen, and just because it's bigger doesn't mean it happens slower. It has a lot more to do with the condition of the live rock you choose, whether it is cured already or not. Cycling normally takes 6-12 weeks with uncured rock, and if using cured rock it may not cycle at all.

TVR
04-05-2009, 03:09 AM
Thanks Myka. That helped explained my steps.
I'll try getting some cheduled water change and skimmer (not 24/7 though)

Thanks,

richtg
04-05-2009, 08:30 PM
I highly recommend using a phosphate remover (I use Rowaphos in a bag in a small Aquaclear filter in my sump). I find it really helps with those pesky algae blooms when cycling a tank and I still use it in my established tank. It also removes some silicates.

I have also signifigantly reduced lighting cycle to help prevent any algae from smothering any corals & rock/sand when cycling a new tank.

Good luck.

e46er
04-05-2009, 09:44 PM
Thanks Myka. That helped explained my steps.
I'll try getting some cheduled water change and skimmer (not 24/7 though)

Thanks,

why would you not run your skimmer 24/7?? It should always be running