PDA

View Full Version : Sand sifting goby!!!

JDigital
04-03-2009, 10:48 PM
:bad-word::snipersm::2gunfire:

So I started getting a lot of "particulate" in my tank recently, and never even considered where it was coming from, even though it has been bothering me immensely. I have been running filter socks, big water changes, etc. nothing has help, so I figured it was coming from a "replenishing" source.. I do know I get some sand lifted up from my CL, but never this bad...

Today, I realized what, or should I say WHO, the culprit is... My Orange Diamond Goby... He is finally out of hinding, and up at the front glass, doing what he does best... Making a MESS out of my tank... every bite of sand I can see a cloud of dust/sand catch the current and off it goes... My tank looks like a sand storm in Saudi Arabia!..

This Goby HAS to come out! I know there is a slim chance of catching him with a net... So I need some trap ideas, or if someone has a trap in the NW I can borrow that would be awesome.. :mrgreen:

Myka
04-03-2009, 11:01 PM
:lol: Sand sifting gobies have their drawbacks...

JDigital
04-03-2009, 11:03 PM
:lol: Sand sifting gobies have their drawbacks...

It didn't even cross my mind when I decided to bring it home... My tank looks like hell because of just him! :twised:

Carmen
04-03-2009, 11:27 PM
Once he has sifted through the sand over a period of a couple weeks, the sand storms will be minimal! They really do a fabulous job of cleaning the sand but need to work through the dusty stuff first. Really, it gets MUCHbetter! My water is very clear and I only see "debris" in the water at feeding time/at night when he is eating and getting ready for bed. And it is minimal since my sand is no longer really "dusty" (I have sugar sand).

Really they are worth it!:wink:

Red Coral Aquariums
04-03-2009, 11:52 PM
Once he has sifted through the sand over a period of a couple weeks, the sand storms will be minimal! They really do a fabulous job of cleaning the sand but need to work through the dusty stuff first. Really, it gets MUCHbetter! My water is very clear and I only see "debris" in the water at feeding time/at night when he is eating and getting ready for bed. And it is minimal since my sand is no longer really "dusty" (I have sugar sand).

Well said Carmen I go through this at the store all the time and the water clears up after less than a week. They do a great job after the initial sand storm. You will stir the tank up worse trying to catch it.
Kevin

JDigital
04-04-2009, 01:17 AM

Well said Carmen I go through this at the store all the time and the water clears up after less than a week. They do a great job after the initial sand storm. You will stir the tank up worse trying to catch it.
Kevin

Hmmm.. I will take your advise! I'll wait for a bit.. :clock:

Myka
04-04-2009, 07:28 PM
I had a Hector's Goby (who disappeared...have no idea what happened to him...maybe my Bubble coral got him too!!) and he made a mess for the first couple months, but after he got things all cleaned up it wasn't so bad. I do think that they are quite beneficial for keeping the sandbed much cleaner.

HL649
04-06-2009, 01:45 AM
Let me know if you want to get rid of him. I will probably take him. Used to have one and I loved him.