PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Glue and Crazy Glue Gel

Snaz
04-03-2009, 06:15 PM
I used the Gel for the first time last night and this morning a couple of pieces I was gluing to rocks came loose overnight. Not a big deal it happens with regular CG but when I fished up the loose pieces they were soft and tacky. As soon as I removed my fingers from the water and dried them they stuck to the towel and each other.

Has anyone else noticed CG gel not curing properly? Maybe I got a bad batch? My experience with regular CG is it cures right away into a solid even under water.

JDigital
04-03-2009, 06:18 PM
Yea, I tried the gel.... Didn't like it a whole lot... had to hold the frag for awhile under water before it would cure... I tried Taylored Aquatics crazy glue, and it works alot quicker IMO.

brizzo
04-03-2009, 07:16 PM
When I glue frags to plugs, I make sure to clean and dry the plug, and lightly dry where I'm going to glue on the skeleton. Apply glue, let air dry for about 30 seconds, put them in a bucket of water while I mount others .. then back in the tank. Never had any come loose yet.

fragNplug
04-03-2009, 07:50 PM
i use loctite crazy glue gel, never had a problem.

Phanman
04-03-2009, 07:55 PM

+1

hockey nut
04-03-2009, 07:58 PM
Like mentioned above I make sure frag and plugs are somewhat dry and then let the glue set for 30 seconds on the plug then add the frag and then let it set for another minute or two. I use CG gel with no problems. I believe the gel takes a bit longer to set.

hth

brizzo
04-03-2009, 08:20 PM

+1 on brand

Ephraim
04-03-2009, 09:23 PM
you are probably using too much gel. The outer layer is contacting the water and curing, creating a skin at prevents the rest from curing. You can either use less or breach the skin that forms to allow it to fully harden.

justinl
04-03-2009, 10:40 PM
ephraim could be right but you have to use a LOT of gel for that to happen; even then, the "skin" should be pretty thick after an overnight in water. my bet is a bad batch.

little bit of chemistry for ya, the active ingredient in crazy glue (gel and other wise) is cyanoacrylate. When this stuff solidifies it forms a lattice structure that is interlocked and it very hard to pull apart. But to form this structure, it needs a catalyst: water. it makes no sense at all that it could be exposed to water for 12 hours and not cure when it only takes a few minutes in air.

Tom R
04-03-2009, 11:23 PM
I use the Boston Aqua Farms Reef Glue and Reef Glue Accelerator. The Accelerator cures the glue instantly. The Accelerator comes with a spray nozzle however I would rather use a piplet drop tube with just 1 or 2 drops. I do not like to spray the Accelerator all over the base of the coral. These products were available at J&L.

http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/product-info.php?product_ID=ba-glueac
http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/product-info.php?product_ID=ba-glue02

Tom R