PDA

View Full Version : Need Help ID Please. Thank you

TVR
04-03-2009, 01:09 AM
Cross my finger these aren't bad things...:sad:
How to get rid if bad stuff they are... Thankss

1. The Shrimp I found just lately (fig. 16)
2. The green look like toothpick (fig. 21), start being found on one of the rock. Start seeing them more than 10 growing now.
3. The like brown thing (fig. 22) l found on another rock. growing in group or afew, not many yet.

Thanks in advance.

Delphinus
04-03-2009, 01:18 AM
1. Some kind of isopod. I'd be a little bit leery of this one, some are parasitic on fish.
2. Some kind of macroalgae.
3. Hydroids. Although technically not as bad as some things, not great because they spread, are unsightly, and sometimes can sting corals.

TVR
04-03-2009, 01:28 AM
My oh My...
They are all bad compare to mornal, just normal...uhuhu...
Worse is the rocks were secured :cry: and so I am stuck.
Well, there should be thing eat them (except the shrimp, but I can trap ...lol good luck to me)

Any :idea: ???
But thanks Tony.

Myka
04-03-2009, 01:45 AM
If you're referring to the brownish algae in #2 then it looks like Sargassum sp starting...not usually an algae you want. The green algae in that photo is green hair algae which can be quite a nuisance to be rid of. The other two I agree with Tony.

TVR
04-03-2009, 02:06 AM
If you're referring to the brownish algae in #2 then it looks like Sargassum sp starting...not usually an algae you want. The green algae in that photo is green hair algae which can be quite a nuisance to be rid of. The other two I agree with Tony.

Yes the look like brown thing in pic 2(straight up like a round toothpick. Is it bad? - Anyhing eat it or have to "hand pick" - Thanks

Delphinus
04-03-2009, 02:50 AM
Sargassum's not so bad .. at least I think it has a neat look to it. It looks wicked in a refugium, like a miniature/bonsai kelp forest. :lol: But it does just tend to grow and grow. You can pull it out though. It's not like caulerpa that pretty much needs armageddon to completely eradicate it. If you remove the holdfast of sargassum (the root like part that attaches to the rock) then it's pretty much gone forever. If you want to keep it you can just cut it down, as long as you leave the bottom part it might come back.

hillegom
04-03-2009, 03:04 AM
Does anything eat those hydroids?

Delphinus
04-03-2009, 03:06 AM
Not really. Maybe some angels (Centropyge) do, but I have some right now and my potter's aint touchin' any of it. You have to pretty much tweezer it off I find, or cover the area in epoxy. Which I've tried though, and didn't get it all, so it started growing on the epoxy. Grumble.

Myka
04-03-2009, 03:32 AM
Like Tony says, sargassum isn't the end of the world...it won't "take over" or anything. You can keep it for now, and see if you like it.

Hydroids can be a real pain in the butt...they are difficult to eradicate. I have a couple small colonies in my tank, and as long as I tweeze them every once in awhile they don't spread too much.

TVR
04-04-2009, 03:58 PM
I was thinking about the juice that many talked about, JJ ? - Wonder what happen if I squez this little juicy juice over those nasty brownish? Could they get killed by anychance?

spreerider
04-04-2009, 09:02 PM
my peppermint shrimp eats hydroids, they dont completly but stopped spreading and are almost never extended anymore.