PDA

View Full Version : Need help from the experts

Ian
04-02-2009, 07:12 AM
On thursday last week I got home to find that my hammer coral had be bull dozed over and was sitting directly in front of my koralia1. @ head showed damage but the other 4 looked good....in the next 4 days both these heads died off despite my best (although somewhat limited efforts) and some damade on the 3rd became visible but the 3rd seemed OK. tonight I get home and the 3rd head is nearly gone (mostly slime )...should I be fragging the lst 3 heads in an attempt to save them? They have been fully extended and looked great even tonight?....This was an amazing coral an I do not want to lose it entirely.

what would you do in my postition?

lobsterboy
04-02-2009, 08:09 AM
if its tottaly sliming, then fragging would me the next step in order to save a few heads. when you clip the heads off, go from the most bottom and use expoxy to seal the bottom where you fragged off.
BTW: lobsterboy = no expert

Trigger Man
04-02-2009, 08:12 PM
I would try fragging, in my case it was my torch and it started with one head getting slime and then moved to another. At that point I cut off the infected peices (as it was a branching torch) and hoped for the best. My remaining couple looked good for about a week, but then started deteriorating. Everything else in my tank including my hammers that are located a ways away were not affected. So keep a eye on your remaining ones, and maybe give them a coral dip if possible.
I hope this helps a bit, as hopefully someone with more experiece on the matter will be sble to chime in as well.

christyf5
04-02-2009, 08:19 PM
I'd definitely frag it. There can sometimes be a bit of a domino effect and they all go even though only one or two heads were affected. Its worth a try if nothing else.

sphelps
04-02-2009, 09:07 PM
I would cut your losses and toss the whole coral. Those corals get infected when damaged and it sounds like it's got the brown jelly already. Even fragging it probably won't help and keeping the infected coral in the tank will threaten other corals. A brown jelly outbreak will have devastating results on a stocked tank. Not worth the risk, buy yourself a new coral.

whatcaneyedo
04-02-2009, 11:50 PM
I had this problem before when my branching frogspawn lost a few heads to a galaxy attack. Frag off the infected heads and remove them from the tank. Also keep an eye on the other corals in your tank incase the infection spread.

Ian
04-23-2009, 02:56 AM
Well...fraged this but heads continue to die one at a time....I have one left that looks healthy...fingers crossed that it makes it...I have become very good a recognising the 1st signs of this infection.......
Once the new 90 gallon is ready no more Lps for this tank..just softiess etc....