PDA

View Full Version : feeding yo

fiorano
04-02-2009, 04:16 AM
so i feed my fish well rinsed mysis every other day and on the off days i feed a very small amount of pellets and a [art of those seaweed sheets ... cant remember the exact name but w/e. anyway my copperband only eats the mysis and he seems to really want food on the off days ... he has weird behaviour like head twitches and stuff (reminds me of a begging dog). anyway is every other day enough food for the copperband or should i try to feed him every day ?. i just dont like mysis to often cause it breaks the foam head on the skimmer.
thx for any replies peoples :)

Myka
04-02-2009, 04:25 AM
Personally, I would be feeding Piscine brand mysis everyday if I had a Copperband as they are very active fish, and need lots of food to stay plump. I would soak it in Selcon at least 3x weekly, and garlic at least 1x weekly. CBBs are notoriously difficult to keep long term. How long have you had yours?

GreenSpottedPuffer
04-02-2009, 04:32 AM
I wouldn't skip any days of feeding for most fish other than large predators. We really, really underfeed our fish. Most reef fish eat all day long.

If you check out wild fish on dives (tangs, rabbits, butterflies, ect.) they are much, much thicker than the average fish you see in an aquarium.

Personally I was feeding my copperband 3 times a day, everday, before he passed away.

I feed my tangs about 4 times a day but I am starting to feed about 6 times a day now.

Variety is good too. My copperband LOVED chopped up prawns. Has to be chopped quite small or bended. He also picked from whole clams and mussels. I throw a manila clam in the tank each day too. I don't feed mysis at all anymore as I find its more expensive than buying fresh seafood and there is just too much phosphates in it. I have also heard it really doesn't have much nutritional value. Someone compared it to feeding lettuce to tangs. I guess it depends on the brand though.

Myka
04-02-2009, 04:37 AM
Ya, dealing with the phosphates in previously frozen food in a PITA.

jsmth321
04-02-2009, 04:47 AM
Personally, I would be feeding Piscine brand mysis everyday if I had a Copperband as they are very active fish, and need lots of food to stay plump. I would soak it in Selcon at least 3x weekly, and garlic at least 1x weekly. CBBs are notoriously difficult to keep long term. How long have you had yours?

What exactly is the difference between that brand and other brands of Mysis shrimp?

Never used that brand as its not available in my area, but am curious as I have seen it mentioned several times.

subman
04-02-2009, 04:51 AM
Ya, dealing with the phosphates in previously frozen food in a PITA.

Wow I never knew that! I've been fighting Phosphates ever since I started feeding the stupid mysis! :twised:

GreenSpottedPuffer
04-02-2009, 04:56 AM
Wow I never knew that! I've been fighting Phosphates ever since I started feeding the stupid mysis! :twised:

Yes there is enough phosphates in frozen mysis to make a difference. Some of water from different brands were tested on RC and the results were so high! All over 1 and some as high as 2....and I don't mean 0.1, I mean 1 !!!

dkcrx
04-02-2009, 05:01 AM
http://canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=51158

I got my little guy used to the cup and now he knows what to do, but they need lots of food, if you check at night yours will probably be hunting in the rock for more food. And as for what to feed, Anything he will eat.

fiorano
04-02-2009, 05:51 AM
well what i do is put the mysis in a little shot glass with the aquarium water and the garlic selcon or w/e then after about 30 mins i dump it into a neat in the sink and pour more aquarium water over it ... i dunno o thought that might help a bit. but yeah i've had him for about a year i just dont like how it cuts out my skimmer so much. ... i just use the pe mysis as well and i've had him for around a year i would say now. it would be so much easier if he just ate pellets but hey im not gonna complain i consider myself super lucky with this guy already.. its either uck or hes just a tank lol