PDA

View Full Version : Aquatraders MH fixtures

balistidae
04-01-2009, 02:26 PM
Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with these? The prices are amazing but I have read some sort of sketchy reviews on some of there old stuff (Fires!). Apparently that all has been solved with electronic ballasts.
Any input would be appreciated, thanks!

xtreme
04-01-2009, 03:04 PM
There is a ridiculously large thread on RC regarding these fixtures. Check that out for a tonne of info. I purchased one of these lights a year and half or so ago and have had to do a few upgrades to it to get it where I wanted my lighting to be. Have a look at this thread as well for some useful info.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46461

fkshiu
04-01-2009, 05:18 PM
I purchased one of these lights a year and half or so ago and have had to do a few upgrades to it to get it where I wanted my lighting to be.

And that's the key point. They are cheap and they seem to have worked out the fire issues (although whether they are CSA/UL compliant is another matter). BUT most, if not all, people end up having to "upgrade" the ballasts and bulbs. So you're paying twice and having to spend time and effort DIYing things so at the end of the day how much are you really saving especially with the crummy exchange rate nowadays? You may end up paying less for a used higher quality fixture without the hassle.

xtreme
04-01-2009, 05:59 PM
You may end up paying less for a used higher quality fixture without the hassle.

I agree, after changing lamps and ballasts you will be close to the price of a higher quality fixture. I think it depends on what you plan on keeping. For softies this light will do the job, and LPS will probably be ok as well. If you plan on keeping SPS now or down the road, plan on spending some money to upgrade, or just bite the bullet and buy a better fixture right off the bat. HTH.

balistidae
04-01-2009, 09:37 PM
i just was on there live help (which is pretty slick BTW). She told me all of the fire issues were problems with the mag ballasts, they have now gone electronic. As far as CSA approval she told me all the fixutures are CE approved (europe). Does anyone know how that stacks up against our CSA?
Sounds like this fixture will be what I am looking for, the tank is going to be mainly fish with possibly a few softies and lps.

mseepman
04-01-2009, 09:41 PM
And that's the key point. They are cheap and they seem to have worked out the fire issues (although whether they are CSA/UL compliant is another matter). BUT most, if not all, people end up having to "upgrade" the ballasts and bulbs. So you're paying twice and having to spend time and effort DIYing things so at the end of the day how much are you really saving especially with the crummy exchange rate nowadays? You may end up paying less for a used higher quality fixture without the hassle.

I have to say...I think the Aquatraders fixtures are great for what they are meant to do. They are great entry level lights and with a little modification, they become great mid level lights.

Just think...24" Coralife 250W Aqualight pro at J&L (the cheapest price around) is $689.95 CAD while an Aquatraders equivalent is $169 US. The coralife comes with a pretty crappy bulb (compared to some out there) and nothing special in the way of a magnetic ballast. The Aquatraders comes with a really crappy bulb and an electronic ballast that doesn't rank very highly. Throw a Lumatek ballast and a 14K Phoenix bulb at the Aquatraders and you probably have more light than a Coralife for less money still.

Just my 2 cents though.

*Edit*...and for just $99 you can have a 250W 24" MH fixture with moonlights. Includes ballast and bulb.

xtreme
04-01-2009, 10:29 PM
I agree mseepman, it is a good entry level light. I would take one of these over a coralife any day, as you mentioned in your post they are much cheaper and IME very comparable to the coralife.

balistidae
04-02-2009, 05:19 AM
ordered, I will let you guys know what I think once it arrives

Rbacchiega
04-02-2009, 04:13 PM
I've had the 48" 2x250MH +4x65 PC actinics on my 90 for a couple months. Now that I'm starting to convert this tank (like every other tank I own it seems) into a predominantly SPS tank, the lights, I find don't cut it the way they are. I'll probably go buy new ballasts and new bulbs to up the umph...or I'll sell it and pick up an 8 bulb t5 unit instead....

good for if you're going mainly LPS or softies though with a few lower light SPS along the way

jon.smolders
04-02-2009, 04:34 PM
ordered, I will let you guys know what I think once it arrives

How much was the shipping to Canada? ...the shipping calculator on their site wouldn't work for me.

xtreme
04-02-2009, 04:45 PM
How much was the shipping to Canada? ...the shipping calculator on their site wouldn't work for me.

Don't forget, if they ship with UPS expect to pay the brokerage fee once it gets to your door.

fkshiu
04-02-2009, 05:02 PM
Don't forget, if they ship with UPS expect to pay the brokerage fee once it gets to your door.

Good point - the dreaded UPS fee is always quite a big shock the first time you get hit with it. It's best to get a PO box in Blaine or Pt. Roberts and do the brokering yourself for free. Customs will also waive the GST/PST occassionally depending on the value of the item when you bring things across in person.

Ron99
04-02-2009, 05:22 PM
You can also clear UPS parcels through customs yourself but it takes about an hour of your time and helps if you have UPS and Customs offices near each other like at the Vancouver airport.

Also, you could ask Aquatraders (or other vendors) if they will ship USPS or even FedEx instead of UPS. Often I find they will do that rather than lose a sale.

balistidae
04-02-2009, 07:33 PM
Shipping on my 24" was $45. They are shipping via USPS

balistidae
04-11-2009, 10:26 PM
well it showed up, no brokerage fees which was nice BUT when i took it out of the box i noticed something loose inside. opened it up and found the monster cooling fan not secured whatsoever. the loose fan damaged the reflector pretty good.
They are shipping out a new fan and reflector for me, we will see how it goes from there

mseepman
04-12-2009, 01:54 AM
Wow, that's a bit painful. How was their customer service? On the new site it appears like it might be a lot better than the old service setup.

Oxymoron
04-21-2009, 11:17 PM
Any update on this light?
What was your total cost?

balistidae
04-21-2009, 11:52 PM
total cost was $184 canadian. Got the fan installed finally and the light actually looks really good. I actually really like the look of the spectrum (15k) and it runs pretty quiet. Customer service has been a huge PITA though, I would stay away.

balistidae
04-23-2009, 08:43 PM
well the fan died already and they had sent me the wrong replacement parts so I am just going to send the whole thing back. The light has made my whole house smell like burning plastic, there is no way these things are safe.
After relentlessly dealing with their horrendous customer service the only option is to get rid of it yet they are making me pay the $50+ shipping which I think is insane.

STAY CLEAR OF AQUATRADERS!

balistidae
04-24-2009, 02:08 AM
anyone else find it ridiculous that I should pay the shipping to return it?

fkshiu
04-24-2009, 03:09 AM
anyone else find it ridiculous that i should pay the shipping to return it?

+1

TheAce
04-28-2009, 05:31 AM
well the fan died already and they had sent me the wrong replacement parts so I am just going to send the whole thing back. The light has made my whole house smell like burning plastic, there is no way these things are safe.
After relentlessly dealing with their horrendous customer service the only option is to get rid of it yet they are making me pay the $50+ shipping which I think is insane.

STAY CLEAR OF AQUATRADERS!

That really sucks... i was thinking about getting something from them myself. I just have a hard time wanting to dish out $1000 for a new light fixture......

jsmth321
04-28-2009, 06:31 AM
anyone else find it ridiculous that I should pay the shipping to return it?

Its pretty common for companies to not pay shipping when returning items.

Red Coral Aquariums
04-28-2009, 02:45 PM
I use the T5 fixtures in store and found them to be excellent (not one problem in 6 months).
Kevin

balistidae
04-28-2009, 04:04 PM
I will have now paid $120 (shipping + restocking fees) for a $99 fixture that I dont even have haha

Rbacchiega
04-28-2009, 04:16 PM
boo that noise. Is there anyway you could keep the unit and salvage what you can out of it? I know with my odysea unit (aquatraders) I plan on swapping out bulbs and ballasts when the time comes (in a couple months)

xtreme
04-28-2009, 04:32 PM
I know with my odysea unit (aquatraders) I plan on swapping out bulbs and ballasts when the time comes (in a couple months)

You will be quite amazed at the difference new ballasts will make. Well worth the upgrade.

balistidae
04-28-2009, 05:00 PM
my problem is cooling the thing. When the fixture came the fan was loose inside the fixture and one of the fan fins was busted off and somehow got out of the fixture and got into the box, weird. They then sent a replacement fan and I wired it in, pushing air into the fixture, this also seemed weird to me. Within 10 minutes of the light running my whole house smelled of burning plastic and the fan was already toast. I am just not even sure what to do now, I love how the light lights the tank up but I want it to be safe. Who knew a light could be so stressful.

Red Coral Aquariums
04-28-2009, 05:05 PM
Come in and see me and bring it in I have a replacement fan (not sure if it's the right one) but we can check.
Kevin

mseepman
04-28-2009, 05:05 PM
The tough reality is that a lot of light manufacturers aren't pushing quality anymore. I paid an outrageous figure for my Coralife Aqualight pro and when I opened it up, many of their connections inside had burned up and were an extreme fire risk. I re-wired it with T5's at that time and used proper connectors. It's a good thing I decided to make the mod otherwise I would have assumed they were past such mistakes.

Many new fixtures leave a smell when they first start as they're adjusting to the heat generated by the MH. I would inspect the wiring and then keep it if you can.

balistidae
04-28-2009, 05:10 PM
ideally I will be able to keep it. I do like it but I just want peace of mind safety wise when Im not around.
Kevin is that fan 110v ac, roughly 6"?

Thanks for all of the help guys.

oilfieldsafety
04-28-2009, 06:11 PM
If you need to buy replacement fans, Memory Express has a great selection and good prices. I just bought 4 for my DIY Canopy and they give me the airflow I need with the noise level being 7.5 db on them.

Shane

balistidae
04-28-2009, 08:48 PM
the problem with the memory express fans is the voltage. Im not sure what computers run on but I need a 110v ac, they sell a converter but it would be too bulky to cram into the fixture.

fencer
04-28-2009, 08:52 PM
princess auto carries lots of fans