PDA

View Full Version : Bugs!

leezard
04-01-2009, 01:09 PM
So I found some new creepy crawlies in my tank today -- kind of like little shrimps, but not. Any ideas where I can go look to get an ID on them? (I've tried a few searches, but so far no luck).

Aquattro
04-01-2009, 02:04 PM
Amphipods

hillegom
04-01-2009, 03:03 PM
Here is a picture, scroll down
http://www.xtalworld.com/Aquarium/hitchfaq.htm

leezard
04-01-2009, 05:20 PM
Here is a picture, scroll down
http://www.xtalworld.com/Aquarium/hitchfaq.htm

Perfect! Thank you!

Everything I read on Ampiphods says they're microscopic, but the biggest of these was about 1.5 cm. Quite noticeable. But sure looks like the picture.

Do they really get that big?

That website is awesome for beginners! Thanks!

Snaz
04-01-2009, 05:36 PM
Biggest I have seen is 1 cm but the antennae can be as long as their bodies. I love how these things move, very agile.

leezard
04-01-2009, 05:46 PM
I guess that's what they are, then. Thank you!

We've also recently come across macroalgae, barnacles, and either a tube worm or spaghetti worm. We haven't seen a base, yet, but we have white wormy lines all over the live rock, but it doesn't move. Hopefully one day I can ID it!

I love finding new critters in the tank. It's neat.

wgama
04-01-2009, 10:24 PM
The biggest amphipod I ahve seen in my tank was like 5-6 cm long it was preying on the smaller ones! My tank is just crawling with them at night it looks like the sand and rocks are alive!

leezard
04-01-2009, 11:12 PM
My tank is just crawling with them at night it looks like the sand and rocks are alive!

Hm. Looks like I need some night lights. I couldn't believe how many I saw this morning! It waas freaky!

What's the best kind of light to use for night viewing? I know red lights are great for reptiles who don't seem to notice it.... would it be the same for fish?

Snaz
04-02-2009, 12:15 AM
I use a plain old flashlight with a piece of red gel on the front. As long as it is not too bright not much seems to notice. So yes I guess red light is the way to go for exploring at night.

leezard
04-02-2009, 06:14 AM
Woot! Gotta find that red ticket, and then I'm going hunting! Thanks!