PDA

View Full Version : just finished stand and have a problem

Abbyreefer
04-01-2009, 04:53 AM
So I just finished the stand brought it upstairs checked horizontally and perfectly level.. sweet I was thinking. then places the tank on the stand and low and behold it wobbles. when the left side is down the right back corner sticks up I would say about 1/8". if that wasnt enough the stand wobbles as well. It seems that the flooring isnt quite level in the house and leans back slightly towards the wall and hence makes the stand also slightly uneven.

The stand I can fix with some slight shims and such my my biggest question is will the tank settle itself onto the wood and even out ? if I used the foam pad under the tank would that help or am I risking too much with the posability of the tank then cracking ?

banditpowdercoat
04-01-2009, 04:55 AM
going to have to shim it BEFORE water is put in. Best to shim stand so it becomes flat and level to tank.

Funky_Fish14
04-01-2009, 04:59 AM
Agreed, shim the stand so it is flat, and yes, do put a piece of foam under the tank... any sort of hard styrofoam sheeting, compression board, etc... All will work. But do put that under the tank, it helps ease stress/pressure points.

Jason McK
04-01-2009, 05:06 AM
Yup I agree quick fix just shim the stand and foam under the tank

J

Abbyreefer
04-01-2009, 05:36 AM
Shimming is the 1st thing I'm going to do tomorrow after work. My concern is the tank on the stad with that bit of gap on th eback side. Its only prominant when I push down the front left corner and then the opposide rear corner goes up and visa versa when the tank sits on its own its not as noticable but spread out. Will the foam correct that or will I still have a problem that I shoudl address ?

BTW thanks for all of the quick responces at such a late hour.

hillegom
04-01-2009, 05:40 AM
when you push down the front left corner , how much does the other corner move up?
1/16? 1/4? inch

Abbyreefer
04-01-2009, 05:51 AM
I would say when I push the front left corner down the opposite back right corner goes up 1/8" . I think the tank is slightly twisted. When I use my level on it from side to side its perfectly level. when I use it front to back on the left side its leaning slightly backwards and when I uses it on the right side its leaning slightly forward thats whats causing the tank to sit uneven. crazy cuz its perfectly square. Ok, so then if I take the back left support out and shorten it and lengthen the right front post that shoudl even it all out in theory right ?

hillegom
04-01-2009, 05:55 AM
Like everyone else says, shim stand and put foam under the tank. I would use 1/2 inch of the pink foam.

byee
04-02-2009, 12:23 AM
Hey,

when you shim the tank, make sure you find a way to glue the shim underneath the one leg. Last thing you want happen is to have the shim dislodge itself.

The foam is relatively cheap.... so make sure you use it.

Not sure how this will impact the tank but it will not be good.