PDA

View Full Version : What dissolves silicone

hillegom
03-31-2009, 11:39 PM
I was going to use a 50 gal for my sump for my new 120 gal. However the 50 gal leaked, so I took it all apart. Just have the glass panes apart now. But was trying to get all the silicone off before resiliconeing everything back together.
I remember someone here said acetone worked. Before I go and buy any, has anyone else tried this?
BTW it sure was a pita getting all the panes apart!!!
Thanks

new but handy
04-01-2009, 01:52 AM
Rona has a silicone remover. I don't know if it works but that is what it was designed for

Pazil
04-01-2009, 02:00 AM
A razor blade and water... little elbow grease...

new but handy
04-01-2009, 02:01 AM
sorry I should have mentioned: razor blade is how I always do mine

Dez
04-01-2009, 02:45 AM
I just had to do this a few days ago, all I used were many many razor blades, and a wire brush. I've also used a wire brush attachment on a drill before and that works great. Make sure it's perfectly clean to the glass before siliconing though so that it adheres properly.

hillegom
04-01-2009, 02:54 AM
Thats about what I have been doing, with those breakaway, olfa knives, just taking a break right now. Its the edges that I am worried about. Was going to try some sandpaper. Because of the black plastic frame, the glass has sharp edges. Not easy to clean with a knife because the edge is actually concave. But I like the steel brush idea, will try that too.
Tomorrow I will see what is left and see if I can find that remover from rona. I was at rona yesterday looking for that GE 1200 but they didn't have it.
Thanks for the info, looks like elbow grease tonight.

brizzo
04-01-2009, 05:39 AM
Best bet is to just use razor blades and brass wire brush. Chemicals can make a mess of silicone, it gets all gummy and not fun. Use acetone to clean the joint thoroughly before silicone. Hit up some glass shops or lfs to find ge cs1200