PDA

View Full Version : Calgary Reef Keepers is Live!!

Jay180reef
03-31-2009, 05:26 AM
The website framework is built, let's give a huge thanks to Glennrf38 for his hard work as the official site architect!

There is no content yet, I would like some help with ideas. We need eye candy so if you have great macro pics from your tank, post them here and the best ones will be featured on our site!

calgaryreefkeepers.ca

What do you want to see on the site? Please look at the website and tell me what you think we need!
Ideas so far:
event listing - tank tours, frag swaps, socials
member tank pics and descriptions
lots of links/portals to canreef, sponsors
store for sweet gear showing our logo - towels, tshirts, golf shirts, mugs

What will not be on the site:
A forum - because canreef is the official forum to be used, and it will be linked when needed. Since canreef membership led to the Calgary Reef Keepers, it's important to give credit where it's due.

Delphinus
03-31-2009, 05:35 AM
Looks GREAT! :cool: Nice work you guys.

lobsterboy
03-31-2009, 05:51 AM
here here to CANREEF!!!!

lastlight
03-31-2009, 03:31 PM
when's the first bbq planned? :biggrin:

Jay180reef
03-31-2009, 03:38 PM
Are you offering to host the BBQ! :lol:
when's the first bbq planned? :biggrin:

Glennrf38
03-31-2009, 03:40 PM
Lets have BBQ salmon........ ummm or maybe a non ocean food........ ooooops

Delphinus
03-31-2009, 03:43 PM
I hear tangs are delicious. And tridacnids. Hey, on an unrelated note, maybe Michika could host the BBQ?

(..... tee hee hee!)

In all seriousness I'd love to host a BBQ. I would ordinarily say "May" but I'm not convinced I'll see my grass before the end of June. (I doubt I'd have my big tank going yet but I have others..) So maybe later? Or I dunno, we can wait and see what the weather does.

Jay180reef
03-31-2009, 03:47 PM
Thanks for the offer Tony! We'll definitely take you up on your offer. Hopefully BBQ season will be here soon.

fishytime
03-31-2009, 03:48 PM
Its alive......alive! Great work guys.

Rbacchiega
03-31-2009, 03:53 PM
Looks good guys.

I'm in for a bbq in May ish...unfortunately, we're doing alot of work out here in the sticks, so no go for quite yet at my place, but I'd be glad to have one maybe next year when all the digging and crap is done.

Phanman
03-31-2009, 04:09 PM
looks good :biggrin:

Glennrf38
03-31-2009, 04:30 PM
Thanks everyone for the encouragement and compliments.

michika
03-31-2009, 05:55 PM
I hear tangs are delicious. And tridacnids. Hey, on an unrelated note, maybe Michika could host the BBQ?

(..... tee hee hee!)

Depends how do you feel about organic landmines? :lol:

We'll see what happens closer to May, it would probably be possible.

lastlight
03-31-2009, 07:53 PM
Yeesss! That worked like a charm. So to confirm...there IS a bbq and I'm not hosting?

Actually I'd totally love to if I had:

- A running tank
- A fence to contain the nuttiness (only have grass and rail-less deck)
- friends

Trigger Man
03-31-2009, 08:02 PM
Homepage is looking good, can't wait to see the pages fill up.

Rbacchiega
03-31-2009, 08:10 PM
Yeesss! That worked like a charm. So to confirm...there IS a bbq and I'm not hosting?

Actually I'd totally love to if I had:

- A running tank
- A fence to contain the nuttiness (only have grass and rail-less deck)
- friends

I almost spit out my coffee...thanks for that. Nuttiness? What on earth could you possibly mean?? We all know that we're quiet, well behaved individuals.

lastlight
03-31-2009, 08:14 PM
Nuttiness?

Three words:

1) Funnel
2) Flex PVC
3) Skimate

We're reefers. We have the technology (plus we've likely been fried by too much UV)

ElGuappo
03-31-2009, 08:26 PM
looks good, i like the tank top in the headline.

parkinsn
03-31-2009, 08:40 PM
Nuttiness?

Three words:

1) Funnel
2) Flex PVC
3) Skimate

We're reefers. We have the technology (plus we've likely been fried by too much UV)

Hell i will hold the BBQ if your drinking the skimate i gotta see that :lol:

http://i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr41/parkinsn/images.jpg

Pier Pressure
03-31-2009, 08:46 PM
Well I could be into joining this club - but not if I have to drink skimmate. Talk about taking hazing to a new level!!!

Rbacchiega
04-01-2009, 12:57 AM
mmmm beer bong.....

I will PAY someone to drink it...haha

lastlight
04-01-2009, 01:12 AM
The closer my build gets the more desperate I am. HOW MUCH?

Jay180reef
04-01-2009, 03:36 AM
YAWN....A bit more content on the website. Off to bed now. More tomorrow!

Ian
04-01-2009, 03:56 AM
Since I am a newb at this I would love to see a page that linked to specific threads on canreef (or other forums) that contained valuable information for reefers. You know those critical threads that we all should read and re-read..
I know the information is there but sometimes doing the correct search is a killer.

ANd yeah if this club means drinking skimmate.... maybe I am not THAT big of an addict yet.

Jay180reef
04-01-2009, 02:57 PM
Skimmate drinking will be done on your own time ;)

Good idea Ian, we'll definitely link to content that is considered 'must read'. I don't want to make it cluttered, so it will be minimal, but to the point.

saltynuts
04-01-2009, 03:04 PM
looks good. its like a new frag. now watch it grow.

Rbacchiega
04-01-2009, 03:36 PM
Skimmate drinking will be done on your own time ;)

I think I've just been cyber scolded....herm

Loving the layout of the site though. This will be exciting!

Okotoks Reefer
04-05-2009, 08:46 PM
Just registered... beer bong brings back memories or trying to remember *Hic*
Setting up my new tank. 65 gal with sump waiting for my order to come in now and i'll start adding the sand , water , yippie!!! i get to watch water for the next few weeks i'm very excited about that!!

Okotoks Reefer
04-05-2009, 08:48 PM
ya one more thing maybe canreef could sticky this thread so poeple can see it right off the bat??? make sense???

Alberta-newb
04-06-2009, 03:36 PM
Drinking skimate?, I can see it now... "hmmm green beer? but it's not St. Pattys day!..oh well here goes!":mrgreen:

Great job, content is a tough choice. I would love to see some "tech tip" type pages. Melev's Reef site is a good example as he has great articles on things like plumbing, feeding mandarins, hitchiker ID, etc...

Since this is a Calgary site, perhaps a "where do I find?" Seems there are always threads here with this question. I would keep it for stuff we don't usually buy at the LFS (keeps our sponsors here out of it so noone gets preferential treatment, plus leaves them open as sponsors for Calgary Reefkeepers)

Eg. Some HD's in Calgary carry PVC and others don't...last time I went hunting I hit 5 different HD's and Ronas to find what I needed:sad:

Another example would be a local supplier for solenoid valves and float switches.

Just a thought,

Francis

Snappy
04-06-2009, 03:44 PM
The site looks great. I'll be looking forward to the get togethers.

Jay180reef
04-06-2009, 03:45 PM
Great ideas, thanks for the input on content. I'll put those sections on the website...Tech tips, Where to find stuff in Calgary (need to work on the name)

BTW, where is a good place for solenoids, float valves etc?

Drinking skimate?, I can see it now... "hmmm green beer? but it's not St. Pattys day!..oh well here goes!":mrgreen:

Great job, content is a tough choice. I would love to see some "tech tip" type pages. Melev's Reef site is a good example as he has great articles on things like plumbing, feeding mandarins, hitchiker ID, etc...

Since this is a Calgary site, perhaps a "where do I find?" Seems there are always threads here with this question. I would keep it for stuff we don't usually buy at the LFS (keeps our sponsors here out of it so noone gets preferential treatment, plus leaves them open as sponsors for Calgary Reefkeepers)

Eg. Some HD's in Calgary carry PVC and others don't...last time I went hunting I hit 5 different HD's and Ronas to find what I needed:sad:

Another example would be a local supplier for solenoid valves and float switches.

Just a thought,

Francis

lastlight
04-06-2009, 03:47 PM
Whose tank is in the homepage banner? Reminds me of Atlantis Marine World. Gorgeous!

Okotoks Reefer
04-06-2009, 03:59 PM
Plumbfull in the strip mall as Big Al's has pretty much everything you need to plumb your sump even valves and unions. I had awesome service from them. Cheaper than HD and no running around.... but as predicted .... forgot my list and had to do from memory ... lets just say had to go back lol

andestang
04-06-2009, 05:58 PM
Making some really good progress, the site looks great. I like the main link to Canreef.

Snappy
04-07-2009, 06:16 AM
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h210/Trainer02/reefanon.gif

Hi My name is Greg & I'm a reef addict.

Tyson
04-09-2009, 02:38 PM
looks great guys, keep it up.:biggrin: