PDA

View Full Version : pickling lime(aka calcium hydroxide)where???

Canadian Man
03-28-2002, 12:40 AM
does anyone know where i can get the above mentioned product this time of year as it is not canning season i dont see it at co-op,safeway or walmart. please let me know if you know.
thanks.
I dont want to pay $24 at big als again for the stuff.
i also posted this in the calgary forum incase you suffer from dejavue(never spelt this word before) :rolleyes:

eli@fijireefrock.com
03-28-2002, 12:40 PM
why do you need it it adds salts to your reef as well. :confused:

StirCrazy
03-28-2002, 01:20 PM
eli, pickling lime is pure calcium hydroxide.. no salt.. I have been looking for the last day aand from what I have found you have to order it out of the US.

Steve

ruck'n'reefer
03-28-2002, 02:26 PM
I ordered it from Mrs. Wages. In the US. Customs told me that products labelled Pickling lime are banned food additives. So you may have troubles with customs.

I had it shipped to the border, then picked it up and brought it across myself. When asked what it was for I told them it was an additive for a marine aquarium. No duty or tax.

I am ten minutes from the border so it is easy. That was pre-Sept. 11. So I think that it would be risky now.

Canadian Man
03-28-2002, 03:05 PM
i emailed Mrs wages and they said i can order if from them but the only problem i see is the border thing.

ruck'n'reefer
03-29-2002, 04:52 AM
Have them label the package for Marine aquarium use or something similar. Call customs (the food and agriculture section??) they are always helpful, and may have a suggestion.

[ 28 March 2002, 12:54: Message edited by: Ruck'n'reefer ]