PDA

View Full Version : Carpet Anemones?

parkinsn
03-30-2009, 08:43 PM
Is it possible so force a split with a carpet anemone? ie. tying fishing line around it? or Something else...... Thanks for any help on this.

Delphinus
03-30-2009, 10:19 PM
Yes, you can, or at least people claim to have done it (on RC in particular). Seems to be more prevalent with haddoni species - the only documented case of mertensii that I know of, the guy ended up losing both halves; and to the best of my knowledge nobody's attempted it with a gigantea as yet. The only documented thread I know of, with pictures, is Gary Majchrzak's (sp?) mertensii thread, IIRC he used a big knife and a cutting board.

I personally wouldn't do it though! But that's just me..

parkinsn
03-30-2009, 10:23 PM
Thanks Tony, I never thought it was that feesable, but it was worth a try. I saw the biggest blue carpets i have ever seen at the LFS today for a good price too, but they are atleast 14" across :lol:. I might just have to make some room for it instead.

untamed
03-31-2009, 05:29 AM
Here's a follow up question....

Do you think it would do serious harm to the anemone if I were to remove a good chunk of the outer edge, while leaving the centre and foot untouched?

Mine really needs....a trim.

Delphinus
03-31-2009, 05:42 AM
You could try fragging it maybe? If you were brave enough!! I dunno, I've read Calfo's take on this and he has some points about captive raised specimens and blah blah blah, the theory is all good, it just seems to me to be a risky endeavour on two fronts: #1, it has to be a near mortal injury to be split in two, .. but, #2, man alive I've seen the goo that comes out of of a tiny injury to an anemone so to think what would spew out and slime up for a halfing must be significant, you'd need to have a QT area that you isolate from the main tank and skim heavily before reintroducing into the main tank, exposure to that can't be good for the other inhabitants. I had a couple tank kill-offs just moving my ritteri anemone, it could just kill an entire tankload of fish just because it was annoyed at being moved, no idea what it was releasing, nematocysts or something else, I don't know, but my fish all suffocated within minutes to hours .. it was very brutal. So I myself am now chicken with these things, but I guess we can't learn anything by doing nothing, so I don't know what the best call is..

lobsterboy
03-31-2009, 06:23 AM
i seen those too, they are awesome, didnt catch the price, but if u had a big enough tank, the clowns would love it

Thanks Tony, I never thought it was that feesable, but it was worth a try. I saw the biggest blue carpets i have ever seen at the LFS today for a good price too, but they are atleast 14" across :lol:. I might just have to make some room for it instead.

Ryan
03-31-2009, 04:40 PM
Was that atGolds? I seen them to they were saweet!!!

xtreme
03-31-2009, 04:49 PM
Was that atGolds? I seen them to they were saweet!!!

Ya they are pretty nice, huge though.

parkinsn, are you going to be able to fit one of those badboys in your tank?

parkinsn
03-31-2009, 04:56 PM
parkinsn, are you going to be able to fit one of those badboys in your tank?

it going to be a gamble if i do