PDA

View Full Version : Getting a Dwaf Lion to eat?

md14
03-30-2009, 06:20 AM
Well..

I got a fuzzy dwarf lion and I'm having a hard time getting him to eat, which I knew would be the case just wondering if any body has some tips or tricks. So far I'm just trying krill I might have to cave in and give him some ghost shrimp if he continues this hunger strike.

I've tried just dropping the krill infront of him, using a feeding stick, threading the krill and dangling it in the water, soaking it in garlic guard..

justinl
03-30-2009, 07:41 AM
you need to read this. it will answer all your questions.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-11/fm/feature/index.php

md14
03-30-2009, 05:04 PM
Oh, I've read that many times before. Great Info

Glennrf38
03-30-2009, 05:43 PM
I started out feeding mine live minnows. Once he started taking those, I started putting krill into a net with the minnows. And then after that, just krill. It took me a couple of weeks of patience but it paid off in the end. He started begging for food.

Ian
03-30-2009, 06:03 PM
I have been lucky mine ate mysis from day 1 and is a pig.. I have found that when he does get a little picky he feeds better if I turn off the lights and leave my actinics on...from the reading I have done the are most active hunters morning and evening...maybe this will help

reef bound
04-01-2009, 05:33 AM
It took us a couple of weeks to get ours to eat silversides. He was fed goldfish at the LFS and had been there at least a couple of weeks so we knew we had some work to do. We started him with the same goldfish as the LFS, slowly trying to wean him off and get him to take krill instead, but the silly thing would go for days without eating. So after 6 or 8 goldfish over a period of about 2- 3 weeks, we went with a little smaller fish (skinny and about 1-1 1/2" long and about the same color as a silverside), and put the thawed silverside in just after we put the live one in and I think we may have tricked him, because he started eating the silversides after about 3 attempts. All in all, I guess it took us about 4 full weeks to get him switched over. He still will only eat silversides, no krill, no mysis, no brine shrimp----just silversides (soaked in selcon).
Have fun.

md14
04-01-2009, 06:26 AM
Thanks for the info!

reef bound
04-01-2009, 05:07 PM
Forgot to mention, we tried the feeding stick, too, but to no avail. He likes to chase his meal, so we leave the pumps on to let it ride the current. I'm still amazed at how fast he can be.