PDA

View Full Version : Bubble Coral Murders Bangaii Cardinal

Myka
03-29-2009, 09:36 PM
I leave my tanks in the care of my tank sitter, and with in 12 hours my Bubble Coral has eaten my Bangaii, and my RBTA decided to move again. All was peaceful when I left!!! :lol: The Bangaii was in perfect condition when I left, and when he was found stuck on the Bubble Coral he was still alive. He was removed from the coral, but was totally slimed up, and just floated around the tank, and eventually died. The Bubble coral and the Bangaii have lived together for well over a year. That's a reefing first for me... My tank sitter can't tell if it was the male or the female that got eaten. It would be nice to find another mate. I guess I should have followed through with selling them when I almost made that sale thread!!!

fishoholic
03-29-2009, 10:47 PM
:surprise: Wow that's surprising. I didn't know a bubble coral could do that, poor fish :sad:

Skimmerking
03-29-2009, 10:48 PM
wow sorry to hear about your bangi's i went away for 1 week and my 2 went missing i think that my PJ cardinals killed them thou..

Myka
03-30-2009, 04:02 AM
Ya, kinda weird, eh? I knew Bubble corals could take out small fish, but I thought Bangaiis would be too big and too fast. Plus they were together for so long...weird.

Delphinus
03-30-2009, 05:40 AM
The few times I've had banggai's in the past, they always checked out in the same manner: looking absolutely fine and as if nothing was wrong until the last couple hours then suddenly, bam, done. I've lost count but it's something like 3 for 3 or maybe even 4 for 4 now. Just a thought, because it seems to me it may not have been the coral that instigated, but it could have taken advantage of a weakened fish that drifts into it. I dunno, maybe I'm way out in left field on this one.

Myka
03-30-2009, 05:38 PM
That thought crossed my mind too...

banditpowdercoat
03-30-2009, 06:22 PM
Hm, interesting. My Banggai hangs out in/near my LTA all the time. I know the LTA devoured a Sea Hare we had, so it can ingest larger animals