PDA

View Full Version : RO/DI Help

Millepora_Maniac
03-29-2009, 06:03 AM
Hi everyone, I prchased a four stage ro/di today from J and L, I'ts called the AQUA FX barracuda. My drainage line is flowing fast and my product line isn't putting out anything. What did I do wrong? when I plug the drainage with my finger, the DI starts to fill. but without plugging the end, I get no flow through the system, anyone care to help!! Thanks - Ken:sad:

hillegom
03-29-2009, 06:12 AM
Your flow restricter is faulty or non existing. The RO membrane needs a backpressure. The flow restricter supplies this. You should be getting about 1 gal of
RO water to 4 gal of water down the drain. Some manufactures hide the FR in a fitting. Anyway you have to have one. It is somewhere in the drain line.

Millepora_Maniac
03-29-2009, 06:17 AM
What!!. you mean this thing didn't come with one? Don't they install those at the factory?

hillegom
03-29-2009, 06:29 AM
They should always come with one. But sometimes depending on manufacturer, they are hidden in a fitting, like an elbow or a connector. Not familiar with the AQUA FX barracuda.
Start at the drain and work backwards. I have seen one where there was just another piece of hose stuck in the drain hose, close to the unit. So there was about a 1.5-2 mm opening that the drain water has to pass through which puts back pressure on the membrane, and everything works perfectly.
Either yours is missing or faulty. IMO

midgetwaiter
03-29-2009, 06:35 AM
There should be a flow restrictor stuck in the end of your yellow drain line that hooks to your membrane housing, looks like this:

http://www.aquariumwaterfilters.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&category_id=16&product_id=46&Itemid=26

If that's missing there's your problem. If not you may not have sufficient pressure on your water supply, the gauge should show at least 40 PSI

hillegom
03-29-2009, 06:42 AM
If you do not have that flow restrictor, then you have to get one that matches your membrane output. ie a 100gpd unit has to have a 100gpd flow restrictor. Otherwise you either waste water or you shorten the life of the membrane.