PDA

View Full Version : Confused, looking for help

Bartman1818
03-28-2009, 10:59 PM
Alright, just a quick intro. I have a proposed 40 gallon reef tank in day 8 of cycling. Right now levels seem to be where they need to be. I fully understand the chemistry behind the Nitrates, Ite's, ammonia, pH, dKH, etc etc.

There are a few things I am just quite lost on, and I have been searching all day for answers but cannot find what I am looking for.

So for my specific tank set up, also listed below, what will I need to be doing as far as daily/weekly maintenance. I will be planning to house lots of coral, a clean up crew will be first and maybe 3 or 4 fish that I have in mind.

I am looking specifically at soft coral but the lighting I am looking to purchase in a couple weeks hopefully will not limit me to just soft.

So, basically the questions I have are below: If you can give me anything I would appreciate it. Just looking for some education before I indulge, plus thats all I have to do right now until I wait for this darn thing to cycle :p

1) What will I need to do for my specific set up in terms of dosing? I figure I will need to dose calcium and alk, but what is all this kalkwasser talk. When I asked someone, they said the best thing to do is use a pre-balanced additive such as this.
http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~idProduct~AC5111.html

2) Will I need to add these products that say they have zooplankton and that other plankton?

3) What will my clean up crew eat, just algae?

4) What will the corals eat. I know they apparently can produce their own food but I read they will need to be fed occasionally.

5) What kind of food should I get for the fish, what do you use.

Basically I need some of your experience with a tank similar to mine. What do you do on a daily/weekly basis. If you could list your set up as well, it'd be great (specifically any type of reactors or anything of that sort that would be "extra")

Thanks for any info...

A frustrated but inspired newb. :)

Jason McK
03-29-2009, 03:56 AM
WOW those are quite the question I'll try to answer them as best I can

1) What will I need to do for my specific set up in terms of dosing? I figure I will need to dose calcium and alk, but what is all this kalkwasser talk. When I asked someone, they said the best thing to do is use a pre-balanced additive such as this.
http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~idProduct~AC5111.html

Your CA and ALk Levels will change based on the demand of your corals. As the corals use this to build their skeletal structure. Testing is the only way to determine what the demand is. Also as your corals grow the demand will also grow. There are many systems to deliver CA and ALK. Kalk is only 1 of them. Premixed commercial products is the best place to start while you gain knowledge of the others.

2) Will I need to add these products that say they have zooplankton and that other plankton?
Soft coral and some hard corals , along with inverts eat both Zoo and Phytoplankton. these can be supplemented ass needed like feeding a fish

3) What will my clean up crew eat, just algae?
Clean up crew eat Detritus. Which is fish waste, uneaten food, Algae, and dieing other things

4) What will the corals eat. I know they apparently can produce their own food but I read they will need to be fed occasionally.
Coral get food in many ways. Most filter feed from what is in the water. Yes some also have symbiotic relationships with plankton within it's bodies.

5) What kind of food should I get for the fish, what do you use.

Each fish has different feeding habits it is important to research each fish to ensure you are aware of what it eats before you buy it. Also ask at your LFS what they are feeding. It is helpful to feed the same food if they are eating it

Good Luck and keep the questions coming

J

Bartman1818
03-29-2009, 04:35 AM
very informative. I really appreciate your time!!