PDA

View Full Version : Disposal of Sand

WuHT
03-28-2009, 08:00 PM
Firstly : How Is it ok to just dump sand down the storm drains (I have 2 5g buckets filled with sand) and im' not sure what exactly I should do.

Now the reason why is that I had an ich (or w/e it is ..survived 5 months of cupramine/ich treatment) outbreak, and I removed my LR (but kept my sand) in my DT ..effectively turning it into a QT with sand. I removed the sand after 2 months after no effect (assuming that the sand was harboring the parasites better than the cupramine could eradicate the pests).

Now I know that the sand has absorbed quite a bit of copper, as I had to redose the cupramine levels many times.

So do i
1)add back my old sand, but use a product like cuprisorb to get rid of any copper that leeches out

2)Dispose of old sand, get new sand ?

randallino
03-28-2009, 08:04 PM
Volleyball courts at Kits Beach? :wink:

rocketlily
03-28-2009, 08:12 PM
Driveway if not paved.

Aquattro
03-28-2009, 08:39 PM
No, down the storm drain is bad.

Just spread it in your backyard as fill, cover with weed cloth, lay down bark mulch and setup agility equipment over it. Well, that's what I'm doing with mine. :)

hillbillyreefer
03-28-2009, 08:57 PM
Spread it on the lawn in a thin layer, spray it down with a hose or wait for it to rain, it'll disappear into the grass and you'll never notice it.

DO NOT put it down the drain, it will just silt up and help plug it off. Then when it rains the water will have nowhere to go and your basement will get wet. Yes that is a bit tinfoil hat like but seriously, don't put sand down any drain.

Norstar
03-28-2009, 10:54 PM
Spread it out over the lawn. The grass will thank you!

Keri
03-28-2009, 11:06 PM
Yes that is a bit tinfoil hat like but seriously, don't put sand down any drain.

:lol:

Hey, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure! We just dumped ours outside, and watered it into the bark mulch, none of the plants have seemed to have an issue with it yet.

I wouldn't add it back to my DT, copper is a bugger to get out.

jsmth321
03-29-2009, 12:23 AM
Mine went into the dumpster, no yard to place it in.

spreerider
03-29-2009, 01:05 AM
copper wont hurt plants, copper spray is a common pesticide, i would just throw it in my garden or lawn or compost or something.

WuHT
03-29-2009, 01:48 AM
cool thanks for the replies. Sand and dirt together makes sense!
I don't understand how it'll help aerate the soil and increase drainage, but that's the impression i got on reefcentral (not really a gardening guy, so i don't keep many corals :biggrin:)