PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer Design

Lofus
06-16-2003, 07:06 PM
There seems to be a lot written on skimmer design but for the most part it is all trial and error or qualitative.

Anyone know where I can find something a little more quantitative?

eg. How much contact time per gallon. flowrates, sizing calculations, etc..

Buccaneer
06-16-2003, 08:40 PM
You will have to decide what type of skimmer you want ( i built a dual Beckett for my 300G ) HSA / Countercurrent / venturi etc

The size of the tank is important and also how much room you have to place the skimmer ( efficient countercurrent skimmers can be up to 6' tall ) ...

in choosing to go Beckett I decided that I did not want to deal with air pumps/air stones and would gladly pay more for a bigger water pump to drive it if it required less maintenance ... also the size I would need in any other style for my size tank was not an option ... another factor was noise as I had a venturi style previously and the hissing noise was unbearable

you have to look at your tank and what you are willing to give up or pay to get what you want ... a google search or major forum search will yield lots of designs

If you do decide on a Beckett style I would be happy to show you the one I built and how I built it.

Cheers

StirCrazy
06-16-2003, 11:21 PM
Rasta could we see some pics please?

Steve

Aquattro
06-17-2003, 01:43 AM
This book gives lots of the details your after.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1888381108/ref%3Dase%5Faquariumfis04-20/102-4999900-9078517

Buccaneer
06-17-2003, 02:09 AM
Rasta could we see some pics please?

Steve

I dont have a website to post to but if you want a pic I would email it to you or if you have webspace post it

Cheers

ganowicki
08-14-2003, 04:42 AM
could you pass on the plans for the beckett skimmer to me?? I am planning on building a skimmer, but I have not found a detailed set of plans.

Thanks Gord

Buccaneer
08-14-2003, 08:30 PM
Here is a pic of the one I built ... The ball valves are actually before the Becketts now that I have it up and running ... I would post a pic of it working but it is due for a cleaning ... maybe next week LOL ... I am only using one Beckett at the moment which is fine so far

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=64

Cheers

kari
08-15-2003, 01:22 AM
... another factor was noise as I had a venturi style previously and the hissing noise was unbearable
Cheers

Hey Steve;

Nice job on the skimmer build. Looks like you're a pro at the acrylic work. Sure can save a wack of cash when you build your own.

Re venturi noise;
I'm using a PM Bullet-2. When I first switched on the LG-4 pump the noise of air being sucked in was just scary. After scratching my head for a number of days I found several very effective simple ways to eliminate the noise.
Since I'm way off topic, I will shut up now!

If this issue arising on the DIY project ....

Kari

Jack
08-15-2003, 01:56 AM
Kari,

Share the several very effective simple ways to eliminate the noise. :mrgreen:

Perodogo
08-15-2003, 02:24 AM
:eek:
Rasta,
Wow - that's a nice looking skimmer you built. Would you consider building another one and then selling it to me?? I need a good one for my 500 gallon.

Buccaneer
08-15-2003, 02:33 AM
:eek:
Rasta,
Wow - that's a nice looking skimmer you built. Would you consider building another one and then selling it to me?? I need a good one for my 500 gallon.

All depends on how much you want to spend $$$ LOL ... I have no idea how much I could charge for it ... give me a PM on what you are looking to spend and I will see if it can be done :smile:

Cheers

Buccaneer
08-15-2003, 02:36 AM
Hey Steve;

Nice job on the skimmer build. Looks like you're a pro at the acrylic work. Sure can save a wack of cash when you build your own.

Kari

Thanks Kari ... it was alot of fun planning / building the skimmer ... as to acrylic the seams are not the prettiest I have seen but they are effective :smile: as it does all I want and if I need more I can hook up a bigger pump and bring the other Beckett online.

Cheers

Perodogo
08-15-2003, 05:44 AM
:biggrin: Rasta, I just sent you a PM.

priscilla
08-25-2003, 02:58 AM
If you want a simple plan for DIY skimmer go to http://forums.delphiforums.com/fishyfrolics/messages and ask Tangster1 who has been around for centuries and has a really good schematic, as well as lots of other old fart advice...

priscilla
08-25-2003, 02:58 AM
If you want a simple plan for DIY skimmer go to http://forums.delphiforums.com/fishyfrolics/messages and ask Tangster1 who has been around for centuries and has a really good schematic, as well as lots of other old fart advice...