PDA

View Full Version : More Clowns?

GreenSpottedPuffer
03-28-2009, 07:35 AM
I have a pair of Percs in my 200G hosting in a Bubbletip on the left side of the tank. My fiance and I would like to get a pair of black clowns as well. Is this a big enough tank for a second pair?

The pair I have are about 1.5" and 1" respectively. They rarely leave the left side of the tank where there nem is. Just sometimes when they are hungry.

What are the chances they would fight? What are the chances the new ones would host something on the right side?

Would it be best to add another nem on the right side...I really don't want to but may consider it I guess.

spoot
03-28-2009, 08:20 AM
I find that my percs don't leave their hosting spot much at all. The tank is only 4ft wide, but they are on their own half of the tank >95% of the time. I think you should be ok with 8ft of tank to work with.

GreenSpottedPuffer
03-28-2009, 08:58 AM
I find that my percs don't leave their hosting spot much at all. The tank is only 4ft wide, but they are on their own half of the tank >95% of the time. I think you should be ok with 8ft of tank to work with.

Yeah thats exactly how mine are. Its weird when I see them away from their host.

Actually its only 6' though. 6'x2.5' is the tank footprint. But still I would think its enough room as long as the new ones were to stay on the other side of the tank. Could be hard to do that but I may put up an eggcrate divider on the far right side of the tank to keep them in that area and maybe add an anemone for them. Once they find a host (hopefully quickly) then I can remove the eggcrate.

It would just kind of force them to stay on the far right. Hopefully.

Leah
03-28-2009, 12:03 PM
Are you looking at the ones from J&L? thinking of getting 2 as well. How black are they?

Doug
03-28-2009, 01:47 PM
They dont cross the tank , now. :lol: My large breeding pair would kill anything I put in their tank but as yours are smaller and the tanks huge, {esp. with lots of rock}, you may be ok.

I once had a pair of orange skunks living in my once featured huge bubble coral. I added a small pair of blue striped cinnamon clowns and they never even looked at each other AND, all four lived in the bubble coral.

That being said, I have seen numerous attempts at adding another clown to a single. Usually ends in the death of the new comer.

Yours are small yet and do have their own home, so it may work, as long as the new pair stays out of their place.

GreenSpottedPuffer
03-28-2009, 07:16 PM
Are you looking at the ones from J&L? thinking of getting 2 as well. How black are they?

Very nice and black. Tank raised. Great looking fish.

They dont cross the tank , now. :lol: My large breeding pair would kill anything I put in their tank but as yours are smaller and the tanks huge, {esp. with lots of rock}, you may be ok.

I once had a pair of orange skunks living in my once featured huge bubble coral. I added a small pair of blue striped cinnamon clowns and they never even looked at each other AND, all four lived in the bubble coral.

That being said, I have seen numerous attempts at adding another clown to a single. Usually ends in the death of the new comer.

Yours are small yet and do have their own home, so it may work, as long as the new pair stays out of their place.

Well of course this morning, my bigger clown is cruising the tank. Never really went past the middle but she seems to be exploring.

Not sure if I will bother risking it. It would be a $70 plus tax experiment that I can't afford right now going wrong.

Doug
03-28-2009, 07:27 PM
Ya, I hear you. When I have tried things like that over the years, with a variety of fish, I have always been ready to go in and get them if not working out. Big commitment, but something I usually decided. And there have been the odd time I have had to.

GreenSpottedPuffer
03-28-2009, 08:43 PM
Ya, I hear you. When I have tried things like that over the years, with a variety of fish, I have always been ready to go in and get them if not working out. Big commitment, but something I usually decided. And there have been the odd time I have had to.

Yeah see thats where the problem is. I wouldn't really have a back up plan which isnt fair to the new clowns. It would be easy enough to sell them on here but getting them out of this tank once they go in would be nearly impossible without taking the tank apart.

GreenSpottedPuffer
03-28-2009, 08:46 PM
J&L also has Picasso Clowns right now...kind of tempted.