PDA

View Full Version : Tricks to get fish to take prepared foods

Canadian
03-27-2009, 08:28 PM
I picked up an ORA Splendid Dottyback last week and it was eating within minutes of being in the tank. It will take mysis without hesitation but I'm trying to wean it onto Spectrum sinking pellets (all my other fish eat this greedily).

Does anyone have any tried and true methods of getting fish to take pellet foods? I tried soaking the pellets with frozen mysis as they thaw but that doesn't appear to help much. Right now I'm at a bit of stand off and I'm simply only feeding pellets the last couple days hoping that eventually he/she gets hungry enough to start taking the pellets.

parkinsn
03-27-2009, 09:11 PM
Try garlic, lipo-vit, immuni-vit and the guys at zeo make some stuff now. My splendid dottyback eats the NLS 1mm and 2mm

Trigger Man
03-27-2009, 11:48 PM
When getting my fish onto pellets i tend to mix a few pellets with the mysis or whatever they are eating (and i coat everything with the tropic marin suppliments), and then every few days I put more pellets and less of the frozen foods, till in the end I am only feeding pellets. I have heard that starving the fish for a bit and then feeding pellets can also have success, but I've never tried it.

Myka
03-28-2009, 12:32 AM
Ya, I do that same as Trigger Man; mix frozen with pellets, and they usually end up grabbing onto some of the pellets, and slowly start taking them. When transitioning fish to new foods I also like to soak all the foods in garlic to help entice them, and also so they hopefully don't notice the taste difference so much.