PDA

View Full Version : Durso help!!!!

Rbacchiega
03-26-2009, 02:41 AM
So I built a durso out of 1.5" PVC...now the water looks as though it is going to overflow my tank??? To the point where I've unplugged the return pump. Is this just a matter of the return putting more water into the tank/overflow than the durso can handle?? So I need to throttle back the return pump???

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAALP fast!

digital-audiophile
03-26-2009, 02:48 AM
Do you have a ball valve on return pump? If so I agree turn it back until the water is being sucked (is that the right word? maybe syphoned) into the drain. Then start turning up the pump from there. I only had a durso once on a tank I ran for about three months so my experience with them is not the most extensive.

Rbacchiega
03-26-2009, 02:49 AM
therein lies the problem I think Greg. It's soft plumbed from the return pump to the bottom of the tank, then hardlined from the bottom of the tank up and out into the display....

digital-audiophile
03-26-2009, 02:57 AM
hmmm, do you have the cap of the standpipe drilled? open just to atmosphere or a little valve on it? It just seems that you are not getting enough suction, in principle the standpipe should kind of work like a vacuum.

I'm just digging through this site as well for tips.. maybe have a peek too?
http://cart.dursostandpipes.com/?page_id=9

banditpowdercoat
03-26-2009, 03:10 AM
Yes, A Durso usually fills high the first time, then when the drain is established, it sucks the level down and, when the air vent is set right, it will maintain the level.

What pump do you have? Seems odd that it would overpush a 1.5" Durso? But sometimes throttleing is needed. My 1" Durso flowing through a 3/4" bulkhead drains way more than my mag 3 pumps

urbanhellfire
03-26-2009, 03:15 AM
I have two in one overflow, does the pipe have a cap? The " hole" you put in the top of the cap regulates how much air gets sucked into the pipe and how fast the water can " drain " down the pipe.

If you dont get it tuned right you can get flushing in the overflow or a nice wet floor.

What size pump ?

Dursos are fun :biggrin:

mark
03-26-2009, 03:16 AM
just sounds like it needs to be tuned with the vent hole.

assuming internal overflow chamber, to give yourself a little more play room can shorten the section of pipe between the Durso Tee and the bulkhead (later increase so you minimize the drop into the chamber).

To give on idea of vent hole size, with my 2" Dursos flowing between 500-1000gph ea, the vent hole is only about a 1/8".

ILIKECOUGARS
03-26-2009, 03:30 AM
I have a single 1.5" Durso, with a mag 12 return pump, and I have to throttle it back with a ball valve so it won't overflow the tank.

banditpowdercoat
03-26-2009, 03:32 AM
Ya, My Durso, flowing 300gph has 6 0.018" holes to get the flow. I got some really small drill bits HAHAHA

mark
03-26-2009, 03:36 AM
between the RC drain calculator (http://www.reefcentral.com/calc/drain.php?gph=1300&drain=Submit) and the Durso site (http://cart.dursostandpipes.com/?page_id=17), would expect you should be able to get a fair bit of flow.

Rbacchiega
03-26-2009, 03:36 AM
yeah, I've figured it out. Turns out drilling with a 1/16 bit is still too big. So, taped over the hole and used a sewing needle to poke a hole in the tape. Problem solved!

Thanks for the help guys. Now the Sedra is still at full throttle, the new chromis are having a blast trying to swim and polyp extension is gooooot!

Thanks for all the help though!

banditpowdercoat
03-26-2009, 03:39 AM
Randi, for what it's worth, I went through 3 plugs drilling them to large.

Rbacchiega
03-26-2009, 03:47 AM
hahaha I just wanted to make the tank quiet! *pulls out hair and drinks more coffee* I'll leave it the way it is for now. Now on to getting this damn TLF reactor to work...*sigh*

banditpowdercoat
03-26-2009, 03:50 AM
whats the problem with the TLF? They usually pretty foolproof. That being said......

Rbacchiega
03-26-2009, 04:11 AM
that being said is right!

I put the pump on the wrong hose..so really the water wasn't turning the media...but then my brain started working again.

I am such a problem solver tonight! ya me!