PDA

View Full Version : Clean Tap Water

titus
09-04-2001, 04:21 AM
Hello,

I've made a test earlier on for both silicate and phosphate on the TWP's filtered water, and the water directly from city.

The results, un-detectable amount. The tests were with Salifert test kits. Hagen's phosphate test kit was also used. Again un-detectable.

Ha, we have clean water.

Titus

canadawest
09-04-2001, 11:51 AM
Ahh, ahh Titus, not so fast!

I've got a water filtration system on my fridge (basically it's a carbon cartridge to take out chlorine, etc) and originally used that purified water to fill my tank.

My phosphates have been crazy ever since! I ended up testing my filtered tap water for phosphates, and found them to be 2.0+ in two separate tests. (Seachem test)

Ever since the original fill, I now use RO water from Safeway for my top-ups and water changes. No detectable phosphates in the RO water, and I'm slowly getting the phosphates in my tank under control.

Perhaps tap water is different in different areas? I would recommend everyone test their tap water before deciding to use it for your aquarium.

Refugium, where art thou? images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

titus
09-04-2001, 02:11 PM
Hello Canadawest,

Really?! Maybe that's how City of Vancouver justifies for higher property taxes.

Titus

reefburnaby
09-04-2001, 10:53 PM
Hello Titus,

Doesn't Vancouver have funny tasting water or did they change that ? images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

I don't know....desolved metals from our copper pipes may be a problem with reefs. I I have notice that the water quality in Vancouver varies over the course of the year. It is best during the summer and fall. And worst during the spring. This is based on the growth rate in my freshwater tank that uses tap water.

- Victor.

titus
09-04-2001, 11:15 PM
Hello,

Um... don't know about the funny taste.

Titus