PDA

View Full Version : live rock... cured or uncured...

kelbri
03-25-2009, 05:27 PM
What is the difference? There is a vendor site that has Jakarta rock, cured and uncured. Just want to find out what the difference is, and which is the better one to get.

As a bit of a background, I have a 29g that is getting converted from FW. We are going to set up a FOWLR with about 30lbs of LR, some LS and 4 false perc clowns. Thanks everyone.

banditpowdercoat
03-25-2009, 05:31 PM
Cured means it's been in water for a while, all the Die off has happened. BUT, unless you live very close to the store, once you take the rock out of the water for transport, things start dieing again. And will have to let cycle. if your just adding a few more pounds, then cured is the way to go. Lest Nitrate spike. But if your starting a new tank., uncured, as you will have to wait for it to cycle anyways

digital-audiophile
03-25-2009, 05:41 PM
It's easy enough to cure your own rock, especially if there is a big price difference in what you get charged for cured vs. uncured.

It's been a while since I have had to buy any rock but when I did I kept it in a rubbermaid garbage can with a power head and a heater to get it ready for the display.

new but handy
03-25-2009, 05:44 PM
On another note I don't think buying live sand is worth the money. Any sand you put in the tank will become live after time.

kelbri
03-25-2009, 07:49 PM
I know about the sand, but I like the look of the live sand at the lfs in comparison to other sources. Add to that the fact that it doesn't have to be rinsed first, and voila, easy as pie (it's currently snowing here in Regina, so I don't have anywhere to rinse regular sand right now anyways, as we don't really want to do it in the sink or tub).

digital-audiophile
03-25-2009, 08:24 PM
Live sand is rather expensive for what you get in th end. I used it in my very first tank but since then on upgrades I just used dry sand and added a cup of "live" sand to help seed it.

For the record I have never rinsed new sand either :)

animalcrossing
03-25-2009, 08:28 PM
wouldnt recomend live sand from a pet stores tank either you never know if they treat with copper or other chemicals that could wipe out your entire tank