PDA

View Full Version : reef keeper 2

saltynuts
03-25-2009, 04:09 PM
ed looking to go high tek.
reef keeper 2 info can anyone help me find the link.
i want to read up on them and get input from fellow canreefers.
and if you have one for sale pm me! lol
thanks for the time!

digital-audiophile
03-25-2009, 04:12 PM
I have a reefkeeper 2 and it is a great little unit. I use it to monitor PH/temp and for simple control. Timer for my lights make it very accurate and I love the temp control.

Everything else, skimmer return pump are on always on but it is easy to turn them off for water changes and maintenance. (much better than unplugging every time.

The only thing now is that the RK2 has been discontinued becuase of the release of the reef keeper lite.

If you can find one used or in stock somewhere you should be able to get a decent price, if not take a peek at the RKL :)

Pescador
03-25-2009, 04:48 PM
+1 for the RK2 I just got mine running the webserver with a serial to Bluetooth adapter.
Now I need a wireless webcam to keep an eye on things when we're away.
You can see it here
http://macreef.dyndns.org/index.html

saltynuts
03-25-2009, 04:52 PM
that is very cool.

digital-audiophile
03-25-2009, 04:58 PM
Can you give me more detail on how you ran that? You have the serial in the RK2 and then into a wireless unit to your PC?

I would love to do the same.. but not being the sharpest guy I have no idea how to do it :p

Pescador
03-25-2009, 07:41 PM
Sure I'll try to give it a shot.
First I guess you have to update your firmware to 2.5 if you haven't already and run the driver file.
http://www.forum.digitalaquatics.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=33
You have to use the serial adapter and the 3' cord that was included with your RK2.

Then I used the splitter from DA (http://www.digitalaquatics.com/m_product_info.php?part_number=30-0009-000) so you can use the serial connection and the temp probe at the same time.
It looks the same as a regular RJ12 splitter buts it's wired differently.
If by chance your computer is within 50 feet of your RK2 you can hardwire it with a data cord (http://www.digitalaquatics.com/m_product_info.php?part_number=30-0022-006).

Mine was too far so I used the IOGear serial to Bluetooth adapter from Dell (http://accessories.dell.com/sna/products/Wireless_WiFi/productdetail.aspx?c=ca&l=en&cs=cadhs1&sku=A1176164).

There are a few threads on RC using the same one so that's the one I used.
My computer already had a Logitech mouse and keyboard and it worked fine with the adapter.

If your still game at this point, I have to know if you have a router what kind it is and who your ISP is. I'm on Shaw and they use a Dynamic IP which changes occasionally so you would lose your connection. To get around that there is a free service that lets you create a domain name so you can run the server without having a static IP.
This page explains some of the setup (http://paininthetech.com/2005/12/18/running-a-home-server-with-dynamic-dns-in-your-router/).(It looks more complicated than it is)

After that it's just setting up your router and software. If I haven't scared you off yet.
End of part 1:biggrin:

Note: Make sure the myreef software runs ok on your PC. Check that you can enter info into the file and email fields on the setup page. The PC I was originally going to use would not work properly.

digital-audiophile
03-25-2009, 07:45 PM
That does not seem to bad. I was really baffled as what to use to get the RK2 to communicate with my computer. I've a wireless network set up as my Modem is on the main floor, my PC is on the top floor and my xbox is in the basement :)

I am on Shaw so I guess I would have the same issue.

One question I just thought of.. when I hook up the bluetooth can I flash the RK2 wireless or do I need to plug into my PC.. I am sure I can but better to ask than assume.

Pescador
03-25-2009, 08:05 PM
I was wondering that myself but DA says you have to use the short cord and nothing longer for the flash so I assumed you couldn't use the Bluetooth. I'm not sure if you could get a connection until the firmware is updated. There are a few threads on RC I have bookmarked I'll see if I can find out.

digital-audiophile
03-25-2009, 08:08 PM
hmm I'll have to do some hunting myself. I really should have thought about the firmware upgrade before I installed the unit. I can do it with the cord, it's just a pain as I would have to unplug all the gear, enscrew the head unit and powerbar from the wall and run and do the upgrade while everything is down are plug everything into a temp powerbar.

Maybe I am just being lazy LOL

Pescador
03-25-2009, 08:26 PM
I asked the question on the DA forum I'm curious myself.
I moved my old PC to the to flash the RK2 it was easier to move than the controller. It was the one I was going to use to run myreef so it was in the fishroom anyway. I just couldn't get it to work so I had to go the Bluetooth route to a different PC.

But who knew you could run Windows XP on a 486 with 128m of ram.:lol:

Pescador
03-26-2009, 12:10 AM
From DA
We do not support updating over anything other than the 3' cable that comes with the RK2. If the load fails you will need to send in the unit for service.

digital-audiophile
03-26-2009, 01:10 AM
Good to know. Weekend project for me.. at least to upgrade the firmware.

Doug
03-26-2009, 01:46 AM
Some good info guys. Thanks. I have been going to update a couple times now but still have not.

mseepman
03-26-2009, 05:03 AM
I have an RK2...love it. Now that it's discontinued I'm a little worried about future firmware updates. Otherwise, I think it's great...not sure how I have run without it before. The update does improve things. I would be interested to know if anyone running the bluetooth has it working to allow data logging yet? I don't think I would trust it to flash the firmware but I would love it if I could do data logging with it. My PC is on the opposite side of the room from the controller and I have yet to find a solution.

Pescador
03-26-2009, 04:29 PM
I have my RK2 connected by Bluetooth to a PC (see link in post 3) that logs temp and ph (and data that you manually enter) is that what you want to do?
It uses the myreef software.

If your PC is in the same room the easiest and cheapest is with a data cable they can be up to 50'. DA sells them or you can make them yourself, I'm sure I've seen a pinout on the net
If hardwiring is out of the question you can go the Bluetooth route and I'm happy to try and help with the setup.

banditpowdercoat
04-18-2009, 09:07 PM
Does the RKE have the same online data ability? So I can see tank param's when I'm away?

Pescador
04-19-2009, 12:53 AM
I think the myreef software and the net module for the Elite are due to come out this year.

mseepman
05-15-2009, 05:15 PM
I hooked my RK2 up to my new bluetooth serial adapter today and over to my PC. It was a breeze and now I can log all my data properly. Worked well.

Thanks for the help Pescador.

Pescador
05-15-2009, 08:06 PM
No problem, glad you got it going.