PDA

View Full Version : red bubble algae..how to control/eliminate

JPotter
03-25-2009, 03:07 PM
I posted this to the nano area with several viewing but no replies. Perhaps someone with a big tank has dealt with this and can advise.

I have a BC 29 that has been up for about a year. In the past weeks the nitrates increased (I think as a result of feeding a new tubastrea). I have cut back the feeding (I hope it doesn't starve) and have done several 5 gal H2O water changes. The nitrates have improved but are still high. I am also adding an "anti nitrate" product that I think is similar to using vodka and/or vinegar.

There has always been the old bit of red algae but recently it is creeping all over the live rock, power heads and onto the base of some corals (I have no SPS).

My lights are PC fluorescents on for 12 hours. The corals generally seem content and the Clown fish carry on. The 6 line disappears for a few days every time I do a water change (I hope appears again soon).

My question is how to control the already existing algae? Some suggest emerald crabs (I have hermit crabs and 1 small porcelain crab). Do they work? Are they reef, fish and invert safe?

Can I do more drastic water changes without killing things (I use Ro water, set temp and salinity and mix it 24 hours before use). If so what regime is suggested?

How little can I feed to lower the nitrates without compromising the inhabitants?

Thanks for any and all help with this. My tank now looks like the rocks are purple (coraline algae) and red (bubble algae).
Edit/Delete Message

gbeef
03-25-2009, 09:59 PM
how much rock do you have in the tank? is possible you don't have enough bio filtration to keep up. OR.... if you have sand it my contain high phosphate content over time. I know red slime seems to occur in dead spots, where food may land. I wouldnt do drastic water changes until your sure you know whats wrong. If you do too much it could cycle the tank.

JPotter
03-25-2009, 11:36 PM
J&L suggested a rock amount and I took considerably more than that. Most of the tank has rock. I do not have red slime (cyan) I have red bubble algae on the rocks and at the base of some coral. The sand is clear white and about a year old.

mseepman
03-26-2009, 05:13 AM
Can you post pictures of this algae?

JPotter
03-28-2009, 05:01 AM
I scraped a lot off today but expect it will grow back.

mseepman
03-28-2009, 06:29 PM
Would still love to see a picture of the algae you are struggling with.

SeaShell
03-29-2009, 01:20 AM
I have successfully dealt with bubble algae in the past.... I had a 20 gallon nano that was totally infested with it. The problem is that bursting the bubbles results in it spreading. What I did was to chisel the end of a turkey baster. I sucked up the pieces as I chiseled the bubbles off the rock. Eventually this method completely solved the problem.

Hope it, or something else, works for you.

:)

JPotter
03-29-2009, 04:02 AM
I tried a dental scaler and the bits I could reach came off well. Unfortunately I expect I ripped open a lot of them in the process! as a newbie I have put my rock too close to the edges, have lots of overhangs etc --> make it next to impossible to reach with a baster. I shall see what happens:(

RuGlu6
03-29-2009, 06:13 AM
J&L suggested a rock amount and I took considerably more than that. Most of the tank has rock. I do not have red slime (cyan) I have red bubble algae on the rocks and at the base of some coral. The sand is clear white and about a year old.

More rock then 25% of tank volume will lead to:
1-Lack of circulation
2-Dead zones with no O2
3-Po4 phosphates accumulation as well as No3.

Solution:
1-Remove some live rock
2- Go bare bottom or 1" inch sand bed at max.
3- increase circulation with propeller type pumps for wider flow pattern (not impeller)
4- Get rid of Po4, phosphates are main cause of algae.
Live rock and sand are "Home Depot" size source of Po4.

midgetwaiter
03-29-2009, 06:25 AM
Keeping a decent sized tubastrea is going to be tough in a Bio Cube, you need to feed it too much. IME nitrate is usually the culprit with big valonia outbreaks, this matches up with what you've been seeing.

Consider what your situation is going to be post removal if you go after it now, all that nitrogen is going to end up feeding something and you probably won't like whatever it is. The valonia is comparatively easy to manage. Get the nitrate issues solved before you start removing the valonia aggressively.

High tide
03-29-2009, 08:06 AM
I think I know the algae you are talking about. It only seems to grow in the absence of an effective herbivore, ie: refugiums and such. It seems to be quite tasty and usually does not proliferate in an aquarium with good herbivores. An emerald crab would probably go to town on it.

JPotter
03-30-2009, 04:06 AM
Thank you for the input. I don't think I have "dead zones" as I don't see debris accumulation and my rock set up is very open. My clowns have arranged my sand from zero to 1.5" depending on the area. I have the impeller return pump, a Nano propeller and a Koralia 1 propeller. The propellers are on separate timers to allow for (set up) varying patterns of chaotic flow. I scraped a lot of the algae off with a dental scaler (worked like a charm) and sucked up what I could catch with a baster (didn't work so well). I agree the tubastrea will be an ongoing issue. I plan to have extra water made up so I can transfer it to a small fresh bath to feed it..then through out the bath water and return the tubastrea to the main tank. It sounds cumbersome but once a routine I think it might work. What do you think? I also put in an Emerald crab but haven't seen it since the first evening:( The porcelain crab seems very content:)