PDA

View Full Version : Question about Iron

Parnold
03-25-2009, 07:29 AM
My reef tank has been set up for over a year. The macro algae in the refugium, hasn't grown at all. I have a 15watt lifeglo fluorescent light that stays on for 12 hours. Have tried a few different algaes but chaeto is what I have had for a long time. My Nitrates are high but everything else seems fine. I have read that you should have some chelated iron in planted fresh water systems, so I tested my water and found the reading to be zero.
Could this be the problem? If so can you add chelated iron to a reef tank?

Thanks

wickedfrags
03-25-2009, 11:17 AM
I can honestly say I have never added iron to a reef and I don't think my reef is any worse off. I would focus on keeping your calcium and alkalinity stable (and magnessium above 1350) and less on the macro algae, it will take care of itself. A more intense light may assist with it's growth, something in the 6500K range.

fishytime
03-25-2009, 02:13 PM
I would also say, perhaps not enough light on the fuge. Dosing iron would probably help the macro in the fuge but will also feed any other algae in the display.

saltyrockbox
03-26-2009, 02:51 AM
I had the same problem it never grew... so I eventually took it out...my herbivores eat all the algae in the display so, I just do a few more water changes to keep nitrates down and said F the Macro..