PDA

View Full Version : ZEOvit, thats the question

FlamesFan
03-25-2009, 12:37 AM
Well it seems to be that every day on RC and at least once a week on Canreef there seems to be a new thread on the ZEOvit system. Lots of people with questions about starting the system and lots of current zeo's with questions about dosing. I figured id give it a shot at getting all that "knowledge" packaged into one thread.

Anways I figured id start with what im currently dosing along with how much and how often. Id also like to see what everyone else is dosing out there. Please make sure to post your current system volume.

Volume: 90g display 20g sump

ZEObak - 4 drops 3x week
ZEOfood - 4 drops 3x week
ZEO AminoAcid Concentrate - 2 drops daily
ZEOstart2 - 0.6ml daily
Pohl's Xtra - 4ml daily
ZEOspur - 4ml every 15 days

Atm im debating also adding CV and sponge power after hearing good results from them.

I have had a good experience with the ZEO system. Great SPS growth. I did however had a couple softies die off which I have a feel had to do with the low nutrients.

GreenSpottedPuffer
03-25-2009, 12:44 AM
I am becoming ZEO's number one fan :D

Love the system and I am still only using the basics.

240G Net Water Volume

1.5L reactor with about 1.5L of stones.

.8ml Start2 twice daily (but who am I kidding, most days I dose just under 2ml once)

8 drops food three times a week

8 drops Bak three times a week

Coral snow...I stopped for a week and started to get a tiny bit of cyano. I had not seen any while using the stuff, so I am off to get more asap. IME this stuff works to keep the cyano away.

mark
03-25-2009, 12:59 AM
any chance in the details could put up a cost estimate/day

Madreefer
03-25-2009, 01:04 AM
[QUOTE IME this stuff works to keep the cyano away.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you on that one for sure. I have a small peice of cyano that is gone the next morning after a dose. This is what I dose:
Coral Snow - 1 capfull every 2nd day
Pohl's Xtra - 1 capfull every 2nd day
Pohl's Coral Vitalizer - 3 drops every 2nd day
Sponge Power - 3 drops every 2nd day
display is 144G
sump is 20G
refugium is 15G
I have been doing this since Feb 23 and have seen good growth and good color and extremely clear water. This may sound unbeleivable but I started to see results in the first week. I was going to buy the reactor but was told that a refugium can not be used with the reactor.

GreenSpottedPuffer
03-25-2009, 01:28 AM
any chance in the details could put up a cost estimate/day

I can try to give an idea of what it costs me as of now for my 200 with 75G sump.

Reactor $160

I will estimate the costs of these additives based on what they cost and what I have gone through this month. Its quite easy since on the new tank, its been exactly a month since I started ZEO again. And I bought most of the additives a month ago...

Monthly (approx):

Stones $15
Carbon $10
ZEObak $10
Coral Snow $15
ZEOfood $5
ZEOstart2 $5

Weekly water changes (roughly 60G a month) $30

So a total of approx. $90 a month for my 200G including water changes that would be done anyways. In the future I will be dosing more additives but even then, its just another $5 a month here and there really. IMO well worth it :)

I get to keep lots of large fish and feed them a ridiculous amount but still keep nutrients down and keep corals also very happy. I have never had fatter fish and nicer colored sps. Something that has not always gone hand in hand in the past.

digital-audiophile
03-25-2009, 01:41 AM
90 Gallon Display w/ 30Gallon sump.

Current dosing:

zeobak - 3 drops 3x week
zeofood - 6 drops 3x week
zeostart2 - 0.5ml daily (split .025 morning/night)
Coral Snow - 2ml daily
Amino Acid- 2 drops x day
Sponge Power - 4 drops x day
ZeoZyme - 1 Teaspoon 1x week
Zeolites - Change every 6 weeks
ZeoCarbon - Change every 4 weeks
Reefers Best Salt - 5 Gallon water change x week

GreenSpottedPuffer
03-25-2009, 07:03 AM
You know I just realized your a "Flames fan"...I don't think I can help you anymore...sorry.

Just kidding...

Well kind of...once the playoffs come along I can't talk to you anymore

lobsterboy
03-25-2009, 08:23 AM
I added the cost and its like, $25 bucks a month, for dosing.
thats spread out over 6months or so, not the inital cost of the base system and elements

Jason McK
03-25-2009, 02:28 PM
I'm sorry I do not know my costs. I did the break down about 2 years ago but no longer have the data

Net water 300G
3L Zeolith
ZeoBak 7 drops 3X/week
ZeoFood 7 Drops 3X/week same time as Bak
ZeoStart 0.6ml twice a day
CV 7 drops/day
AA 7 Drops/Day
B-Balance 6ml 4 or 5 times/week
ZeoZym 1 teaspoon/week

I've tried other addatives but these are the standards

J

digital-audiophile
03-25-2009, 03:52 PM
I did a breakdown in excel, I can email it to anyone that may be interested in working their own numbers.

But I calculated my costs to be $54.44/Month. Although this is some what misleading. I have included salt and carbon in that calculation and they add up to $23.47, now assuming that everyone not using the zeo system still runs carbon.. and does regular water changes this can fairly be removed from the monthly operating cost.

Making this assumption my monthly cost would really be $30.97.

That being said I am not buying these products every month so the cost is spread out.

I should note my prices are based on current J&L website pricing.

I hope this helps everyone out a little bit.

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w319/digital-audiophile/zeotable.jpg

GreenSpottedPuffer
03-25-2009, 04:00 PM
I'm sorry I do not know my costs. I did the break down about 2 years ago but no longer have the data

Net water 300G
3L Zeolith
ZeoBak 7 drops 3X/week
ZeoFood 7 Drops 3X/week same time as Bak
ZeoStart 0.6ml twice a day
CV 7 drops/day
AA 7 Drops/Day
B-Balance 6ml 4 or 5 times/week
ZeoZym 1 teaspoon/week

I've tried other addatives but these are the standards

J

Have your dosing amounts dropped over the years? Or at least in the first year?

I notice some of your amounts are lower than mine but your tank is bigger. I think its because the further you go into ZEO, the less you need. Is this true?

Jason McK
03-25-2009, 04:49 PM
Yes Over time you will lower the dosage of almost every additive.

J

Madreefer
03-25-2009, 07:42 PM
I did a breakdown in excel, I can email it to anyone that may be interested in working their own numbers.

But I calculated my costs to be $54.44/Month. Although this is some what misleading. I have included salt and carbon in that calculation and they add up to $23.47, now assuming that everyone not using the zeo system still runs carbon.. and does regular water changes this can fairly be removed from the monthly operating cost.

Making this assumption my monthly cost would really be $30.97.

That being said I am not buying these products every month so the cost is spread out.

I should note my prices are based on current J&L website pricing.

I hope this helps everyone out a little bit.

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w319/digital-audiophile/zeotable.jpg

Hey good work dude. I don't even want to know how much it costs to run my setup and yours is much bigger. I sure don't need my wife knowing either. We have an understanding I guess..... I don't know how much her horse costs per month. Damn hayburners .
:snipersm::llama:

subman
03-26-2009, 04:28 AM
I just bought a starter zeovit system and was looking for some start up advice, things to look out for, do / don't do ect. Thanks

FlamesFan
03-26-2009, 11:25 PM
I just bought a starter zeovit system and was looking for some start up advice, things to look out for, do / don't do ect. Thanks

At first I would dose half the recommended dosing and over a period of 2-3 weeks work your way up to the full dosing amounts. Also, I would wait to use spur2 until your tank has adjusted to the ZEO system.

don.ald
03-26-2009, 11:32 PM
great thread. what type of carbon, brand name, and what brand of salt does everyon run with their zeovit system?
thanks

subman
03-27-2009, 12:51 AM
At first I would dose half the recommended dosing and over a period of 2-3 weeks work your way up to the full dosing amounts. Also, I would wait to use spur2 until your tank has adjusted to the ZEO system.

Thanks!

What do you guys use to keep the CA up?

digital-audiophile
03-27-2009, 01:02 AM
great thread. what type of carbon, brand name, and what brand of salt does everyon run with their zeovit system?
thanks

I am using the zeovit carbon, a little expensive but works well. I am using the reefers best salt. Once again a few extra bucks but mixes way better than the instant ocean I used prior to zeo.

Thanks!

What do you guys use to keep the CA up?

I add a shotglass of calcium chloride to my water change each week.

subman
03-27-2009, 01:05 AM
I add a shotglass of calcium chloride to my water change each week.

Thats perfect simple and effective I just have way too much in my sump to have any more reactors!

Do you make the ca/cl or buy it?

digital-audiophile
03-27-2009, 01:10 AM
I buy the dry calcium from a LFS and mix the ca with RODI in a 1L pop bottle to keep on hand ready.

I also keep a bottle of baked baking soda mixed with RODI in a 1L pop bottle incase I need to play with my KH/PH but typically it stays level at 7dkh and my PH hovers between 7.8 and 8.1 from morning to night.

I also keep a box of epsom Salts on hand incase I need a bump of mg but I find RBS salt keeps the params pretty stable with the weekly water changes.

Jason McK
03-27-2009, 02:56 AM

I'm sorry but I do not agree with this. When first starting Zeovit it is very important to get the bacteria established. Follow the ZeoGuide based on your tank and dose are recommended. Then over time you can cut back.

Start with
ZeoLith
ZeoBac
ZeoFood7
ZeoStart2

Use those only for at least the first 2 rock changes. Then you could begin adding other Zeo components. Most popular are Amino Acid, Coral Vitalizer, Coral Snow, and Sponge power

J

GreenSpottedPuffer
03-27-2009, 02:59 AM
I buy the dry calcium from a LFS and mix the ca with RODI in a 1L pop bottle to keep on hand ready.

I also keep a bottle of baked baking soda mixed with RODI in a 1L pop bottle incase I need to play with my KH/PH but typically it stays level at 7dkh and my PH hovers between 7.8 and 8.1 from morning to night.

I also keep a box of epsom Salts on hand incase I need a bump of mg but I find RBS salt keeps the params pretty stable with the weekly water changes.

Can I ask what brand of Epsom salts you use?

GreenSpottedPuffer
03-27-2009, 03:01 AM
I'm sorry but I do not agree with this. When first starting Zeovit it is very important to get the bacteria established. Follow the ZeoGuide based on your tank and dose are recommended. Then over time you can cut back.

Start with
ZeoLith
ZeoBac
ZeoFood7
ZeoStart2

Use those only for at least the first 2 rock changes. Then you could begin adding other Zeo components. Most popular are Amino Acid, Coral Vitalizer, Coral Snow, and Sponge power

J

Hey Jason, you know more than me about ZEO but from my experiences so far, I would recommend Coral Snow from the beginning. With my first set up of ZEO, I did not use it and got cyano pretty bad. This time I did use it as advised and do not have any cyano. I don't for sure if its the coral snow that has kept the ZEO away but I kind of think it must be.

my2rotties
03-27-2009, 03:32 AM
I betcha the horse is cheaper...

Hey good work dude. I don't even want to know how much it costs to run my setup and yours is much bigger. I sure don't need my wife knowing either. We have an understanding I guess..... I don't know how much her horse costs per month. Damn hayburners .
:snipersm::llama:

FlamesFan
03-27-2009, 04:07 AM
thanks

I run a LFS home brand carbon. For salt I have been using Seachem. It is very high in potassium so it saves on the dosing cost of the K-Balance product from ZEO. I do a 5% water change weekly and it keeps my potassium right where it needs to be.

To answer the Ca question, I use the bulkreefsupply Ca/Alk/Mg kit which I dose about 100ml a week of Ca/Alk and it keeps my Ca at 420-440 and my Alk at 7.0 - 7.5

FlamesFan
03-27-2009, 04:10 AM

Start with
ZeoLith
ZeoBac
ZeoFood7
ZeoStart2

J

I was just repeating what was told to me by a ZEO admin on their forums when I posted a thread with my systems info and how I was starting ZEO on an established system.

subman
04-04-2009, 07:02 PM
I just started using Coral snow yesterday after about 2 weeks with Zeo. I think the coral snow is amazing ofter the clouds went away the water was super clear! Amazing stuff.

subman
04-04-2009, 07:03 PM
Can I ask what brand of Epsom salts you use?

Would love to hear more about this as well!

digital-audiophile
04-04-2009, 08:07 PM
Sorry guys I missed the original questions.

I am using a brand called Equate. It's in a blue 1L milk carton looking package. I picked it up at Walmart.

subman
04-14-2009, 05:28 AM
OK Zeo Masters I'm switching salt and was wondering should I use KZ's or H2Ocean? Any opinions either way would be appreciated.
Thanks

FlamesFan
04-14-2009, 06:52 AM
I have been rotating water changes between KZ's and Seachem Reefsalt. The reason I still do some water changes using Seachem Reefsalt is because it is very high in potassium. High enough that I have stopped dosing K-Balance because my potassium levels stay in the 380's and a bucket of Seachem Reefsalt is about the same price as a 500ml bottle of K-Balance but lasts 4 times as long.